none
[MS-WMSP] $H packet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I'm unable to figure out $H (Header) Packet

I want to understand structure of $H to make the response to Client. My understanding is data I receive should be in this shape:

[B][Frame][PacketId][PacketLength][Reason][Payload]

with

[B][Frame] is one byte

[PacketId] is one byte

[PacketLength] is two bytes

[Payload] This field MUST contain an ASF header

Example I received data following:

byte 0 = 24 this is [B][Frame]

byte 1 = 48 this is H [PacketID]

-------------------------------------------

byte 2 = 98

byte 3 = 14 PacketLength (2 bytes)

-------------------------------------------------

byte 4 = 00

byte 5 = 00

byte 6 = 00

byte 7 = 00 LocationId (4 bytes)

----------------------------------------------

byte 8 = 00 Incarnation(1 byte)

byte 9 = 0c AFFlags (1 byte)

---------------------------------------------

byte 10 = 98

byte 11 = 14 PacketSize (2 bytes)

---------------------------------------------

byte 12 = 30

byte 13 = 26

byte 14 = 75

byte 15 = 8e

byte 4000 = 10

byte n = ...

---------------------------------

I think byte 12 through the end is Payload with ASF Header plus the 50-byte fixed initial
    portion of the ASF Data Object.

Question:

1. How can I generate an ASF Header? What objects I need to figure out that?

2. If I want to implement the audio Streaming server application with Audio Format Type is WMA, can I use struct of ASF Header? And what is differ between ASF and WMA?

Thursday, August 5, 2010 9:47 PM

Answers

• Hi ShanYong:

We have finished our investigation on your question regarding MS-WMSP. Please find the answers to your questions as follows:

Q. How can I generate an ASF Header? What objects I need to figure out that?

A. The Windows Media Format 11 SDK documentation at the following link describes the API needed to work with ASF file format:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd757738(v=VS.85).aspx

This forum is dedicated to answering question about protocol documentation found at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc203350.aspx.

You may want to post your question to the following community for a better chance to get an answer to your problem:

Windows: Audio and Video

Q. . If I want to implement the audio Streaming server application with Audio Format Type is WMA, can I use struct of ASF Header? And what is differ between ASF and WMA?

A. WMA and ASF are identical file formats. The only difference is file extension. For details, Please see the Knowledge Base article at the following link:

The Difference Between ASF and WMV/WMA Files

There is also a free utility available from Microsoft that displays the structure of ASF, WMA and WMV files which you may find helpful, at the following link

Windows Media ASF Viewer 9 Series

Please let me know if it answers your question. If it does, I’ll consider this issue resolved.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Friday, August 13, 2010 3:59 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Thank you for your question.  A member of the Protocols team will respond and will work on your issue.
    Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 10:19 PM
  • Hi ShanYong:

I'll help you with this issue. I'll get back to you as soon as I have an answer.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Friday, August 6, 2010 3:45 PM
    Owner
  • Hi ShanYong:

We have finished our investigation on your question regarding MS-WMSP. Please find the answers to your questions as follows:

Q. How can I generate an ASF Header? What objects I need to figure out that?

A. The Windows Media Format 11 SDK documentation at the following link describes the API needed to work with ASF file format:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd757738(v=VS.85).aspx

This forum is dedicated to answering question about protocol documentation found at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc203350.aspx.

You may want to post your question to the following community for a better chance to get an answer to your problem:

Windows: Audio and Video

Q. . If I want to implement the audio Streaming server application with Audio Format Type is WMA, can I use struct of ASF Header? And what is differ between ASF and WMA?

A. WMA and ASF are identical file formats. The only difference is file extension. For details, Please see the Knowledge Base article at the following link:

The Difference Between ASF and WMV/WMA Files

There is also a free utility available from Microsoft that displays the structure of ASF, WMA and WMV files which you may find helpful, at the following link

Windows Media ASF Viewer 9 Series

Please let me know if it answers your question. If it does, I’ll consider this issue resolved.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Friday, August 13, 2010 3:59 AM
    Owner
  • Hi ShanYong:

Please let me know if the above reply answers your question. If I don't hear from you by Friday August 27, I'll assume the issue is resolved.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:13 PM
    Owner