CSPack Error when publishing to Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a LightSwitch project that was last published to Azure using VS 2013 Ultimate Update 4. Since then we have upgraded to VS 2015. Unfortunately, my project failed to publish from VS 2015, as is logged here.

Subsequently, I reverted to VS 2015 with Update 5. I am unable to find a way of installing only to Update 4?

Now, during publishing to Azure, my project fails with the below error.

Error 1  The "CSPack" task was not found. Check the following: 1.) The name of the task in the project file is the same as the name of the task class. 2.) The task class is "public" and implements the Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask interface. 3.) The task is correctly declared with <UsingTask> in the project file, or in the *.tasks files located in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\bin" directory.

I think this is caused by the mismatch between the project (Update 4) and my environment (Update 5). I am never prompted to upgrade the solution as happened when upgrading from Update 3, for example.

So at the moment I am unable to publish my solution, regardless of which VS version I attempt to use.

Please help. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Pieter

Monday, November 9, 2015 3:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Ian,

Thank you for your reply.

This is a very frustrating scenario, but I was finally able to get a version published after day four of struggling with this.

I found another thread on this issue here. This user experienced a similar problem when upgrading from Update 3 to Update 4. I tried implementing the solution that worked for them, which at first didn't work. Then finally, after first publishing to the local machine (successfully), I managed to publish to Azure.

Still not 100% sure which particular change resolved this, which just adds to the frustration. I will follow your recommendation of using a VM to definitively determine which version works.

Cheers,

Pieter

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Monday, November 23, 2015 9:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, November 24, 2015 1:39 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 3:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Pieter,

Like yourself I have been having no end of problems with the various versions of extensions for Azure and SSDT. Even if you pay for support, you will be disappointed because Lightswitch is dead and I don't believe that there are many resources available to resolve issues.

What I am doing now is setting up a VM and installing VS up to the point that it works. Then I snapshot the VM and try installing the extensions to make sure they do not create a problem.  Once I have tested then I move the extension to my production dev environment.

To your problem, the CSPack error is an issue with the Azure SDK. You could try upgrading/downgrading but it is so tightly coupled with the IDE that I am not sure you will be able to unwind to the point where the problem started.

In my case, I spent so much time on the various extension issues that I came to the conclusion that it was quicker to reinstall windows, create the VM with a gold versions of VS (2013 and 2015) to determine the version that works and associated extension to install in your production dev environments. I know this is pain, but in the end it's going to take less time/money than to try hack the extension to get things working.

Good Luck!

Monday, November 9, 2015 7:05 PM
  • Hi Ian,

Thank you for your reply.

This is a very frustrating scenario, but I was finally able to get a version published after day four of struggling with this.

I found another thread on this issue here. This user experienced a similar problem when upgrading from Update 3 to Update 4. I tried implementing the solution that worked for them, which at first didn't work. Then finally, after first publishing to the local machine (successfully), I managed to publish to Azure.

Still not 100% sure which particular change resolved this, which just adds to the frustration. I will follow your recommendation of using a VM to definitively determine which version works.

Cheers,

Pieter

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Monday, November 23, 2015 9:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, November 24, 2015 1:39 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 3:26 AM