Maximum memory for string ? . System.MemoryOutOfException Occurs when reading the Content of the file and Storing it in a string. RRS feed

• Question

• User-1155932461 posted

Hi,

I have a C++ code which reads a file [vtk file - its similar to text file only]. and try to store it in string.

here's the code:

String^ ParallelProjectionRenderer::GetVolumeDataAsString(String^ FileName)

{
        vtkSmartPointer<vtkDataSetWriter> sWriter = vtkSmartPointer<vtkDataSetWriter>::New();

String^ FileName = "D:\\Users\\...";

char * sptName = static_cast<char *>(Marshal::StringToHGlobalAnsi(FileName).ToPointer());

sWriter->SetFileName(sptName);

sWriter->Register(nullptr);

sWriter->SetInput(this->dataSource);

sWriter->SetFileTypeToASCII();

sWriter->Write();

sWriter->Delete();

String^ result= File::ReadAllText(FileName);   [it breaks here with system.memoryoutofexception when the file size is huge]

return result;

}

this code executes fine when the file size is less than 8mb.

I wanted to know whats the maximum memory allocated to the string.

As a workaround i skipped reading out in C++ code. and i tried to read the file contents in asp.net C# code and store it on string.

Same sort of exception came.

Basically i need this result in string bcoz, I need to communicate with the Silverlight component.

As far as i know, the WebForm to silverlight communication is done via javascript using string message.

So is there a way for this issue?

Thanx in advance,

Balajee

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:28 AM

All replies

• User1130775117 posted

My hunch is that your limit is from an IIS setting for maximum size, think it's in machine.config on the webserver.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:46 PM