TFs 2013.4 XAML Custom Assemblies - Path Override RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have a build definition and XAML + custom build assemblies from a cross domain source.

When I bring up the template it shows errors related to not finding the assemblies.
    I have these assemblies in a local folder.

Typically in the XAML it will have a reference like

xmlns:iac="clr-namespace:xxx.ALM.CustomProjectsToBuild;assembly=xxx.ALM.CustomProjectsToBuild"

Is there any syntax in the XAML to say

>> "use this path to find the assemblies" <- that can cover all custom assemblies

or do you have no choice but to vv  for all assemblies ?

xmlns:iac="clr-namespace:xxx.ALM.CustomProjectsToBuild;assembly=<full_path>\xxx.ALM.CustomProjectsToBuild"

>> Is this even valid ?

>> What do you suggest is a kludge so we can view the XAML (Graphically) ?

>> Would using "regsvr32" work allowing us to register the path in the registry ? (NB: turns out not valid, get "but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found")

(now this may be able to work at the build controller level as this has an option to set the path to the assemblies
    , however this post is related to being able to see the XAML logic and edit it in the IDE)

Thanks

Thursday, March 10, 2016 5:23 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Greg,

Thank you for posting here.

I haven't tried about using path to find the assemblies in XMAL build definition. I suggest that you could register these assemblies to GAC(Global Assembly Cache) both on your build server and local machines.

About how to register assembly to GAC: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dkkx7f79(v=vs.110).aspx

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, March 11, 2016 5:44 AM
  • Thanks

This means they all need to be strong named and I found a few not.

Will leave post running in case there is a syntax possible in the XAML

regards

Friday, March 11, 2016 6:29 AM
  • There's no syntax in the xaml you can use, but there is a way to accomplish what you want.

To edit th xaml in the ide create a new WF Activity project and add your assemblies as assembly references to that project.

Follow these steps.: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd647551(v=vs.100).aspx

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Friday, March 11, 2016 1:54 PM
  • If "There's no syntax in the xaml you can use" is correct then yes the post is answered

As for starting from scratch, this is not the context of my post. My post is for being able to view an existing XAML

Monday, March 14, 2016 2:39 AM
  • Hi Greg,

As far as I am concerned, it doesn't support using path to find the assemblies in XMAL build definition.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 1:55 AM
  • If "There's no syntax in the xaml you can use" is correct then yes the post is answered

As for starting from scratch, this is not the context of my post. My post is for being able to view an existing XAML

I understand you're not starting from scratch, I'm not proposing you should. If you follow the steps to create a Windows Workflow Foundation project in visual studio, then proceed to add your existing workflow as an item in that project, add the references to the project, then you have the graphical workflow editing capability.

Setting up such a Visual Studio project is outlined in the link I posted. Just overwrite the XAML file each time you want to make another change.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 9:27 PM