none
Joining Open Source Projects RRS feed

• General discussion

• Good afternoon WPF Community,

my question for today is about joining/contributing to Open-Source-Projects (WPF).

Does somebody know about this kind of projects and have some links for me to look at.

All i want is:  to Join in as UI Designer and participate for 2 to 3 hours a day after work.

my goal is:    to get more practical knowledge and help others & get help from others, if needed.

Advices are welcome.

Regards

Stan

Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:22 PM

All replies

• Afaik the biggest .NET thing right now is making a .NET Runtime as Open Source Project. Mono-Project is the name and it runs on Mac, Linux, Windows and many Phone OS'es.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_%28software%29

Every open souce project would propably have to run with what it can do archieve any success/relevance (what's the point if it doesn't run on Linux?)

And I have no idea if it supports even a fraction of WPF right now.

Let's talk about MVVM: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpf/thread/b1a8bf14-4acd-4d77-9df8-bdb95b02dbe2

Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:28 PM
  • Thank you for you feedback, Christopher84

Mono is interesting, no doubt, but it is not what i am looking for. I want to start and grow with the "project" and not being overrun.

It can also be a private project, does not matter. The learning curve is the most important for me.

Good night

Stan

Sunday, February 17, 2013 10:26 PM
  • hi Stan.V how about defining one and ask others to join? I think many will join.(at least I'm in) because it will help a lot to learn and work better.it is the best for beginners like me. what do you think about it?
    • Edited by Arian sh Sunday, February 17, 2013 10:52 PM
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 10:43 PM
  • Hi Arian,

that was the first thing I was thinking before asked my qustion here. Actually i had plans to develop an multi-purpose application... and i am on it right now(early sketches). All that sounds pretty easy but  It would be "back and forth" without the help of one or two competent developers.

I'll think of something to start with. Software development process | Wikipedia

Post your further suggestions.

Good night

Monday, February 18, 2013 12:27 AM
  • actually I had something easier in my mind. for example something like a Media player or an Image viewer and organizer and etc. because they are pretty easy to maintain and support.they can be published for free. should be good enough to start with a team which working far from each other. and I have some ideas like this to work on in my own team. we will make some sort of applications for free in our free time or when we are training our developers.

I donno what your application is and what you are planning on. it would be great to know, then I will have some ideas and suggestion and probably join to work with you if I can.

and sorry if my English isn't well.

Monday, February 18, 2013 6:57 AM
  • Hi Arian

i understood what you mean now. You can contact me at (removed)

Send me your contact informations and we can have a chat about "what?" we can do and "how?" to accomplish it. And start learning from each other as soon as possible.

Regards

Stan

• Edited by Stan.V Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:35 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 7:09 PM