none
Memory issues with Application / Components compiled on XPSP2 Vs compilation on Win2K3??? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I  have VS2005 installed on XPSP2. I have made some changes to Ent Library 3.1 version and compiled it on XP.

Few developers who are using this compiled version of Ent Lib are complaining that there are some serious memory issues with this version since I have compiled it on XPSP2.

Can you please confirm if it really matters if I compile a component / dll on a machine with XPSP2 versus on a machine with Win2K3?

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:19 PM

Answers

• References to these assemblies are always strong, they implement the CLR.  mscorsvr.dll is the server version of the CLR and will be used on Win2k3.  mscorwks.dll is the workstation version and be used on XP.  The server version is optimized for typical server hardware configurations.  It will run the garbage collector less frequently and doesn't use concurrent collections.  And thus use a lot more memory.

Check MSDN for the <gcServer> and <gcConcurrent> elements of the app config file.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:30 PM

All replies

• References to these assemblies are always strong, they implement the CLR.  mscorsvr.dll is the server version of the CLR and will be used on Win2k3.  mscorwks.dll is the workstation version and be used on XP.  The server version is optimized for typical server hardware configurations.  It will run the garbage collector less frequently and doesn't use concurrent collections.  And thus use a lot more memory.

Check MSDN for the <gcServer> and <gcConcurrent> elements of the app config file.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:30 PM
  • Thanks nobugz.

However, my query is still not addressed I want to understand if compiling the assemblies on XPSP2 and Win2K3 would

make a difference in performance. Becasuse we can use the <gcServer> and <gcConcurrent> elements of the app config file to set it to what we want.

Also if I have compiled a DLL on XPSP2 (.NET 2.0) and am deploying them on a machine that runs on Win2K3 will there be any performance impact if yes then can the <gcServer> and <gcConcurrent> elements of the app config file be used to avoid the impact? What should the config setting look like in this case?

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 6:56 AM
  • No, where it got compiled doesn't make any difference.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:24 AM