Will BMR (using WSB) function without DPM RRS feed

• Question

• Small Company with a single server, Dell PowerEdge T330 with Microsoft Sever 2016. Only use is "File and Storage Services", "Print Services". and "Remote Desktop Services".

For over a year, ran WSB nightly with BMR backup enabled, but never attempted to create a new system drive.  Recently, "corruption occurred" causing VSS to fail and all attempts to solve the VSS error have failed.

All research on performing BMR with Server 2016 talks about the DPM and how to install and use.  I do not have a DPM, so if I re-install Server 2016 (one way to fix the VSS error), and perform a BMR backup to external USB X, can I create a "new" system drive by booting to "install server 2016 USB" and selecting "repair my computer" and pointing to USB X?

If yes, then a follow-up question. I have external drive Y (my current WSB backup storage with drive "C and System State" backed up.  Can I then boot to my X system and then perform a WSB restore  "C and system state" on my Y drive? even though I would be restoring the VSS error?

My goal is to have a backup system drive available while working on the VSS error.

Thanks for any advice,

Thursday, September 3, 2020 2:37 PM

Answers

• DrXDon --

You have erroneously posted your Windows Server question in a user forum dedicated to questions about Microsoft Project Server, an enterprise project management application.  I would recommend you repost your question in a Windows Server user forum.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, September 4, 2020 12:30 PM