none
Catch 22, doing System State Restore using MARS agent RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please help me with the following question

I have Windows Server Core, I installed the MARS agent and performed a successful System State backup and Restore following this document https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/backup/backup-client-automation

Basically the document uses the MSOnlineBackup PowerShell module which gets installed with the MARS agent.

After I have completed a successful system state back to Azure, I can then use the Get-OBRecoverableSource cmdlet to get a list of items I can recover for example

$Source = Get-OBRecoverableSource 

$Source

FriendlyName       : System State
    RecoverySourceName : System State
    ServerName         : dc02.

I can then move on to use the other cmdlets to perform a restore. 

However,

The Get-OBRecoverableSource cmdlet appears to be getting it information 'locally' from the history of the backups done on this server. It does not appear to be getting its information directly from the cloud (even though it may latter be doing the restore from the cloud).

Therefore, what happens in the situation where the server you want to restore has been completed trashed/lost. In which case you need to install the Operating System from scratch, after which you can install the MARS agent. This would mean there would be no history of backups on the server (as it is a brand new replacement server). 

So this looks like a catch 22 situation, e.g. the server needs to be rebuilt before a restore can be done and the information required for the restore (using the above cmdlet), is lost (as a new server) and therefore will not be able to perform the restore from Azure.

Please advise, thanks in advance

CXMelga

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 1:40 PM

All replies

• In case of MARS agent no backup data is saved locally. Whatever the recovery points information you get is from Azure cloud. 

In situation where you lost your server or it is trashed, you can restore the backup from Azure to an alternate location.

Would be glad to help further if you've any questions and I would request you to provide more details of your scenario.

For example: On premise set up, OS details, Azure backup product being used and the reason to use server core.

Friday, November 8, 2019 11:06 AM
  • Update from PG:

Azure Backup *does not* support Windows Server Core SKU.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 8:47 AM