Very slow VS IDE Workflow editor performance - is a patch available? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

The VS IDE Workflow editor has very slow performance for me. Oftern when I for instance scroll a workflow by clicking a scroll bar, the editor will remain unresponsive for several minutes.

The machine is very powerful, it has a 2820QM processor, 16 GB or memory, 600 GB SSD etc. (It's a Lenovo W520).

Is there a patch available for solving such a problem?

KB2468871 does not solve the problem.

Best regards,

Henrik Dahl

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have the same issue on my Lenovo ThinkaPad T520 (15.6 FHD i7-2670QM 4GB/160SSD DVDRW NVIDIA WWAN WIN7 Pro64 PL) using Visual Studio 2010 SP1.  KB2468871 has been as well installed but it doesn`t help. Any ideas ?

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Hello!

Have you ever seen it operate in an appropriate manner, e.g. at another workstations for instance of one of your colleagues or the like?

Have you tried the same using .Net 4.5 so you have been able to see whether the problem is also there?

Best regards,

Henrik Dahl

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 7:52 AM
  • Hello!

Have you ever seen it operate in an appropriate manner, e.g. at another workstations for instance of one of your colleagues or the like?

[J. Romaniec] Up to now I haven`t seen such a strange behavior on other computers. Everywhere I used Workflow Designer it worked fine. The same behavior on Lenovo I get using mine rehosted designer app.

Have you tried the same using .Net 4.5 so you have been able to see whether the problem is also there?

[J. Romaniec] So far I can`t check it out on .NET 4.5 BETA. This laptop is a production environment, and I wouldn`t break it installing BETA version. Has installing .NET 4.5 solved your issue?

Best regards,

Henrik Dahl

Answers are Inline. Thanks for suggestions. 
    • Edited by J. Romaniec Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:25 AM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:24 AM
  • Hi, we have made great improvement for Workflow Designer in Dev11. The workflow validation logic has been moved to the background thread. We also added caching logic for VB expressions and improved the expression editor performance. You should not see such unresponsive issue anymore. Please try it out and let us know. Cheers!
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Hello!

If I for instance drag an activity to another location in the same workflow the machine will be unresponsive for 5 to 10 minutes.

The workflow has in total not more than approximately 20 activities, of which all are TransactedReceive, Sequence, Parallel or Service Reference generated activities.

It seems completely unreal, doesn't it, that it should take 5 to 10 minutes to compute validation having such a strong processor and such a tiny workflow?

Best regards,

Henrik Dahl

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:12 PM
  • Hello Henrik,

Thank you for the feedback.

Could you please open a Connect bug on http://connect.microsoft.com/ and post a link to it here?

If you attach a repro project to the Connect bug, we will investigate the problem and get back to you.

Thank you,

Hani

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Hello Hani!

Yes, I think it should be no problem, but I'll obviously need a bit time to prepare an isolated situation illustrating it.

Best regards,

Henrik Dahl

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:59 PM
  • Hello Hani!

Now I've done as you asked for. You can see the result here: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/736740/very-slow-vs-ide-workflow-editor-performance#details.

I've included a video which documents the problem. The video is in the root after unzip'ing the attached .zip file. In that case it took 1:20 (one minute and twenty seconds) to drag and drop an activity. In the workflow of my real development solution it can take 5-10 minutes or even more.

Best regards,

Henrik Dahl

Friday, April 13, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Thanks Henrik.

I will follow up on this issue and update this thread.

-Hani

Friday, April 13, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Hello Hani!

It sounds fine. I look forward for more information from you.

If you watch the video I included in the .zip file you can see that Visual Studio uses one core of the CPU to the max during the entire time (in the bottom right corner, where a task manager windows is being shown).

Best regards,

Henrik Dahl

Friday, April 13, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Hello Henrik,

Thank you very much for filing the Connect bug and for providing the repro project and video.

I looked into this issue.

When I follow the exact same steps that you have taken in the video and drag & drop the Assign Activity with dummyValue = 5 underneath the Assign Activity with dummyValue = 3, everything works very smoothly; and the whole process takes only one second.

I would suggest that you try to take the same steps on a different machine and see if the problem persists.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions in this regard.

Thank you,

Hani

Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:26 AM
  • Hello Hani!

OK.

Is it also VS 2010 SP1 and .Net 4.0 you're using?

Does your machine have other characteristics concerning operating system or processor than mine?

Best regards,

Henrik Dahl

Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:26 AM
  • Henrik,

Yes, the machine that I used for investigating this issue has VS 2010 (Version 10.0.40219.1) SP1Rel installed on it. In terms of hardware, it is a regular machine with about half the memory of what you have mentioned above. It does not have any special characteristics.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions in this regard.

Thank you,

Hani

Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Hello,

Does anyone know how to solve this problem ? I have few more environments where this issues can be reproduced. In my case is the designer rehost application which hangs on when app is being launched on some Lenovo laptop (i.e. i5,i7) and designer is drawing activities designers.

Friday, July 6, 2012 7:13 AM
  • Hello J. Romaniec,

Thank you for the feedback.

Could you please open a Connect bug on http://connect.microsoft.com/ and post a link to it here?

If you attach a repro project to the Connect bug, we will investigate the problem and get back to you.

Thank you,

Hani

Saturday, July 7, 2012 12:38 AM