Learning RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone. To begin with, I have absolutely no experience with any programs used for building websites. A few weeks ago my wife and I were informed by doctors that she has cancer. My goal is to build a website for my wife and family. I bought expression web 4. My question is where I can find tutorial help for the beginner that knows absolutely nothing about using a program such as expression web.

Thank You

William R Norton
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:00 PM

Answers

• Look above, in the BEFORE POSTING thread. Links are in there. Start with the tutorial at by-expression.com (watch it once, then download the asset files and do it again while playing along--time very well spent).

Then check out w3schools. Also, the Learn tab at the top of this forum (just ignore any training that deals with layers--they cause nothing but trouble in inexperienced hands).

Eschew obfuscation.
    • Marked as answer by Bill Norton Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:41 PM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Thank You Bill
    William R Norton
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:09 PM
  • Start with the BEFORE POSTING thread at the top of the thread list. Yeah, that one; the one that is supposed to be read before you post.  ;-)

At the bottom of that thread you will find links to Learning Resources. Recommended for your first efforts are the free w3schools HTML and CSS courses, as well as Cheryl's great beginners video tutorial, "Build A Basic Web Site."

Those will get you started, and although this is not a tutorial forum (the short message format is unsuited), we're here to answer specific questions as they arise.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
  • Sorry for not using this forum properly

William R Norton
    • Marked as answer by Bill Norton Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:42 PM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:36 PM
  • No problem. A lot of people miss seeing that post.

To Bill:

I know that you want to keep the BEFORE POSTING in the title, but I really think that post needs to be renamed. I'm getting the impression that a lot of folks are just not seeing it for what it is. How about this:

*** STOP *** READ THIS *BEFORE* YOU POST! - Expression Web FAQs - Forum Guidelines - Read BEFORE POSTING!

That keeps the "BEFORE POSTING" verbiage in the title, so that all of the older threads that refer to that phrase will still be valid, but I think it would get the attention of new forum users better than what we have now.

GOK we have to try something to get their attention. What's there now isn't getting the job done. Of course, it doesn't help that the forum mods keep pushing it down from top position in the sticky threads...

Anyway, it's worth a try.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:53 PM
  • Scott: I already changed the title a number on months ago, at your suggestion.

I think the problem is that, except for the sticky note icon (which nobody notices nor groks) it just looks like another post. On top of that, it's been the second--not first--post for quite a while, also making it less conspicuous.

I wish it could be bolded. I did change one part: READ BEFORE YOU POST! I couldn't really add more, it got too long, and since it's in the middle of the screen I though that was a good location for it to stay (with new asterisks).

Eschew obfuscation.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:30 PM

All replies

• Look above, in the BEFORE POSTING thread. Links are in there. Start with the tutorial at by-expression.com (watch it once, then download the asset files and do it again while playing along--time very well spent).

Then check out w3schools. Also, the Learn tab at the top of this forum (just ignore any training that deals with layers--they cause nothing but trouble in inexperienced hands).

Eschew obfuscation.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Thank You Bill
    William R Norton
  • Start with the BEFORE POSTING thread at the top of the thread list. Yeah, that one; the one that is supposed to be read before you post.  ;-)

At the bottom of that thread you will find links to Learning Resources. Recommended for your first efforts are the free w3schools HTML and CSS courses, as well as Cheryl's great beginners video tutorial, "Build A Basic Web Site."

Those will get you started, and although this is not a tutorial forum (the short message format is unsuited), we're here to answer specific questions as they arise.

cheers,
    scott

• Sorry for not using this forum properly

William R Norton
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:36 PM
  • No problem. A lot of people miss seeing that post.

To Bill:

I know that you want to keep the BEFORE POSTING in the title, but I really think that post needs to be renamed. I'm getting the impression that a lot of folks are just not seeing it for what it is. How about this:

*** STOP *** READ THIS *BEFORE* YOU POST! - Expression Web FAQs - Forum Guidelines - Read BEFORE POSTING!

That keeps the "BEFORE POSTING" verbiage in the title, so that all of the older threads that refer to that phrase will still be valid, but I think it would get the attention of new forum users better than what we have now.

GOK we have to try something to get their attention. What's there now isn't getting the job done. Of course, it doesn't help that the forum mods keep pushing it down from top position in the sticky threads...

Anyway, it's worth a try.

cheers,
    scott

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:53 PM
  • Scott: I already changed the title a number on months ago, at your suggestion.

I think the problem is that, except for the sticky note icon (which nobody notices nor groks) it just looks like another post. On top of that, it's been the second--not first--post for quite a while, also making it less conspicuous.

I wish it could be bolded. I did change one part: READ BEFORE YOU POST! I couldn't really add more, it got too long, and since it's in the middle of the screen I though that was a good location for it to stay (with new asterisks).

Eschew obfuscation.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:30 PM
  • Bill you might want to check on http://www.caringbridge.org/

It may already have just what you need.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    LawOfAllTheLand.org -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:14 PM
  • If your into old fashioned books like I am then I have a few for you to consider

Expression Web 4 In Depth by Jim Cheshire. Published by Que and very recently released and A good read with all the EW4 specific stuff to get you going. While its not really aimed at total novices and you will need to get more basic understanding to fully grasp it, you will turn to it for nuts and bolts help when you get down to builing your site.

CSS The Missing Manual by David McFarland published by ORielly. A few years old now but still valid. It can help you get your brain around all the CSS stuff. I still make reference to this book frequently and have found it helpfull.

Designing with Web Standards by Jeffrey Zeldman published by New Readers. The third edition is what I have. Zeldman is the recognized leader in the web design and development area and in my opinion must be read if you want to see where things are going.

And for a great web site on the general subject of web sites see   http://www.smashingmagazine.com/

As someone who has faced similar situations I commend you for wanting to do something and wish you and your wife the best of luck.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:32 PM

Eschew obfuscation.

Thanks, Bill. Actually. I like the way it turned out to be in the middle of the screen when placed at the end. It's probably more effective than putting it at the beginning, out of the visual center focus area.

As for the thread's position in second, I mentioned that in the last line of my post, above. I fully agree that it should be the first item in the list, particularly when what is actually there addresses an esoteric licensing issue that, so far, I have seen precisely zero posters report having encountered. The BEFORE POSTING thread, OTOH, should be seen and read by every new forum user. I wish the mods would either de-stickify(?) that thread, or at the very least move it to second position. It doesn't need top billing, and the BEFORE POSTING thread does.

cheers,
    scott

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:17 PM