Is Frame Length equal to Total Bytes ? RRS feed

• General discussion

• When looking at Frame Length, it matches the Selected Bytes in Hex view if all bytes are selected. Can Frame Length be used as a "Total Bytes"? For instance, if I run a capture session, and then add up all the frames by frame length, will this equal total Bytes sent and recieved?  Assuming of course, that there is no filter or anything and I am not dumping any packets.

thanks!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There are a couple of instances where this might not be the case.

For instance, if frame truncation is on, then the Frame Length won't equal the number of bytes sent or received.  Instead you should use the FrameLengthWire property in v3.4, which will be the number of bytes sent/received by the adapter regardless of if it was truncated or not.

The other case would be for wireless data and reassembled data, as here there's a special metadata header added with additional information.

Michael Hawker | Program Manager | Network Monitor
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Perfect thanks!
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Dear all, Where is the FrameLengthWire property ? And how to used it ? Regards Gary Sham
    Friday, March 25, 2011 7:22 AM
  • Hi Gary,

FrameLengthWire was added in Network Monitor 3.4, so make sure you have the most recent version.  Then you can either apply filters using the property either fully qualified as "FrameVariable.FrameLengthWire" or just FrameLengthWire.  It can also be added as a column by going to the Column drop-down and Choose Columns, and it'll be in the list as "Frame Length Wire".

Hope that helps; let us know if you have any other questions.

Michael Hawker | Program Manager | Network Monitor
    Friday, March 25, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Dear Michael,

Thank you for you help, I can find FrameLengthWire property. Now I am using Network Monitior to compute the netwok traffic in byte for a application. Is the bype equal to add up all FrameLengthWire ? 

Or do you have other suggestion to handle this task ?

Regards

Gary Sham

Monday, March 28, 2011 8:51 AM