Crystal report 10 Error : Failed to open a rowset RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Crystal Reports 10, running on SQL Server 2008 R2. The backend is in the server. When I run a report, it is working fine with my Admin userid and password but if I login with the client userid and password, I get the

Error Message :Failed to open a rowset. 42000:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]

It sound like "Access Violation or syntax error".How to run the report in the client PC ?

Hari

Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:04 AM

Answers

• To run Profiler you need at least ALTER TRACE permission. If you don't have enough permissions talk with your DBA.

Using Profiler should be straightforward. When you come to the screen where you select events, check the box "Show all events", and in the Errors node add Exception and UserMessage. The tricky part is to find a useful filter. If you are alone on the server, you don't need any filter, but if there are other users, you need. Hostname often works, but it depends how Crystal sets it. Also make sure that you have RPC:Starting as well SQL:Starting in the trace.

ODBC Error code 42000 = "Syntax error or access violation". This could be something that happens in the driver. If the last event in the trace is a Completed, this means that next statement failed inside the client.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    • Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:21 AM
    Saturday, October 20, 2012 11:59 AM
  • Hi guys. This error solved by System Administrator. He right click my User name 'hari' --> Properties  --> Server Roles --> Select 'sysadmin' (already publis is selected). Then i created a DNS, now the report working fine.

Hari

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:45 AM

All replies

• If you connect with the same userid and password from SSMS does that work? Does that work if you attempt to connect from the same PC?

Have you traced with Profiler to see where the error occurs? Maybe you are able to connect, but there is a permission error?

Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:37 PM
  • @Erland  Sommarskog : Yes ! When I login with 'Admin' username and password the report work in both server and client.

I can able to connect the database but i think the error due to "Access Violation" error.

I don't know how to use profiler to trace to find the error.

Recently we upgrade the database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 R2, After that we face this kind of problem.

Anyone know the solution for this ?

Hari

Saturday, October 20, 2012 4:50 AM
  • To run Profiler you need at least ALTER TRACE permission. If you don't have enough permissions talk with your DBA.

Using Profiler should be straightforward. When you come to the screen where you select events, check the box "Show all events", and in the Errors node add Exception and UserMessage. The tricky part is to find a useful filter. If you are alone on the server, you don't need any filter, but if there are other users, you need. Hostname often works, but it depends how Crystal sets it. Also make sure that you have RPC:Starting as well SQL:Starting in the trace.

ODBC Error code 42000 = "Syntax error or access violation". This could be something that happens in the driver. If the last event in the trace is a Completed, this means that next statement failed inside the client.

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:21 AM
    Saturday, October 20, 2012 11:59 AM
  • Hi guys. This error solved by System Administrator. He right click my User name 'hari' --> Properties  --> Server Roles --> Select 'sysadmin' (already publis is selected). Then i created a DNS, now the report working fine.

Hari

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:45 AM