none
IIS became unresponsive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm working on a C#, WCF service project hosted on IIS 8.5 with Windows 8.1

In the past few weeks, I don't know what happen but suddenly whenever I try to refresh my service reference (or "Add Service" in WCF Test Client) it hang for 5 minutes and timeout. Navigating to the service web page on Internet Explorer return the standard successful page : 

You have created a service.

To test this service, you will need to create a client and use it to call the service. You can do this using the svcutil.exe tool from the command line with the following syntax:

I tried restarting IIS, Rebuilding the project, Restarting my computer, nothing worked.

Nothing in the logs.

However, and it's not 100% reproducible, it seems that whenever I'm connected on the internet it works (I'm able to refresh my services, and I'm able to Add service in WCF Test Client)!!! (I haven't changed the code, the web.config, IIS config, nothing has changed except that I'm connected to the internet)

Any idea how that would be, or any idea how I can diagnose IIS. 

Thanks,

Dominik

Correction, the issue is irrelevant to the fact that I'm connected to the Internet. However, using a small test project I've notice that the issue occurs only with NET.TCP and doesn't occur with HTTP.

Calicedetabarnac

Friday, January 23, 2015 9:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For this situation, you have a WCF service project hosted on IIS 8.5 with Windows 8.1. And now you want to call the service in your client application(console application or web application).

If your WCF service hosted on the server belongs to the local network group, and make sure the port number that your service is using can be accessed from outside, you could add the service reference in your client application by right click the solution of your project and select "add service reference", then input the service address, click Go to find the service.

Besides, What kind of client application you are using? Are the client application and the WCF service in the same server or the same network?

Regards

Monday, January 26, 2015 3:27 AM
  • Hi,

I have a C#, WPF client aplication, however the issue is not the client application the issue is clearly IIS.

Sorry if I haven't been clear but the application usually works, it's been months that this setup is working properly (i.e. I'm able to add service references and refresh them without any issue). The project is already quite big and has several thousands line of codes. I'm using Local IIS to develop and that's the issue, it seems that my local IIS is somehow broken and there's no way to debug it.

However I've noted something new since my post, the issue doesn't occur only when I'm not connected on the internet it's seems random (sometime the same project with the same configuration works and a couple minutes later doesn't and vice versa). But I've notice by creating a small test project (hello world kind) that everything works well with HTTP but fail when using NET.TCP.

Thanks,

Dominik

Calicedetabarnac

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:40 AM
  • Hi,

For this scenario, if you want to enable net.tcp binding in iis for your WCF service, you could refer to the following steps:

http://galratner.com/blogs/net/archive/2010/10/08/setting-up-a-nettcpbinding-enabled-wcf-service-in-iis-7.aspx

http://dotnetspeak.com/2012/09/setting-up-site-bindings-in-iis-on-windows-8

Besides, if you are sure about this question is related to your IIS, you could try to reinstall IIS on Windows 8:

http://www.howtogeek.com/112455/how-to-install-iis-8-on-windows-8/

Noe: If you reinstall IIS, you need redeploy all the site within the IIS.

Regards

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

Ok, I'll try to reinstall IIS, that might help.

However I would like to know if there's a way to actually debug IIS. That's a real issue. As I explained on my first post.

whenever I try to refresh my service reference (or "Add Service" in WCF Test Client) it hang for 5 minutes and timeout. Navigating to the service web page on Internet Explorer return the standard successful page

Regards,

Dominik

Calicedetabarnac

Thursday, January 29, 2015 1:03 AM
  • Hi,

I've reinstalled IIS, it worked for that moment, but the following day I saw the same behavior. Just now I had the same issue and using the Task Manager I've "end task" w3wp.exe, which restarted immediately and now the service works (but that's not always the case)

Regards,

Dominik

Calicedetabarnac

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 9:23 PM