Error processing cube - requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have recently moved our production servers and since the move have been experiencing an intermittent (but frequent) error when processing our OLAP cube.

The error messages presented are:

"Error: The following error occurred during a file operation: The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open"

"Error: Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while processing index for the <Partition Name> partition of the <Measure Group Name> measure group of the <Cube Name> cube from the <Database Name> database"

I assume the second message is a consequence of the first error.  The partitions and measure groups seem to vary each time the process is run.

It appears from similar threads that this is usually caused by backups or anti-virus applications locking the files that Analysis Services is using the process the cube.  I have ensured that there are no backups running at the time of processing and I have disabled anti-virus programs without success.

I have also created a new version of the cube (using the deployment wizard) which deployed without error but then encountered the same error when processing for a second time.  There was nothing (client application wise) using this cube when it failed to process.

As I mentioned earlier, this problem is intermittent.  Sometimes the cube will successfully process but usually it fails to process.

We have not encountered this error in our previous production environment or in any of our development environments.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Any suggestions on possible solutions?

Thanks

Rich

Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I think we have resolved this issue now so I wanted to come back and update this post.

It appears that it was the memory limits which were causing this error.  We have Analysis Services and SQL Server running on the same dedicated server.  The default memory limits for Analysis Services are 65% and 85% of the total memory on the server.  With SQL Server also on the same box Analysis Services wasn't able to get anywhere near this much memory.

We have updated the memory limits to 35% and 45% and the cube has been processing without error for a few weeks now.

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by jonesri Friday, February 21, 2014 7:57 AM
    Friday, February 21, 2014 7:57 AM

All replies

• definitely odd - and you've already confirmed the typical causes (AV, backups).

Is this a virtualized environment? if not, is it direct attached storage (DAS) or SAN?

Have you monitored the processes running on the system during processing?

BI Developer and lover of data (Blog | Twitter)

Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:18 PM
  • Analysis Services is running on a dedicated survey with the data files stored on a SAN.

We have tried monitoring the processes running on the system but it looks like only SQL Server is accessing the data folder.  The fact that different partitions/measure groups are effected each time makes it difficult to monitor a particular file.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:34 PM
  • Hi jonesri,

I think you can try to use SSAS Dynamic Management View to monitor SSAS instance, such as existing connections and sessions. For example, please run the following MDX query:

SELECT[SESSION_COMMAND_COUNT],
    [SESSION_CONNECTION_ID],
    [SESSION_CPU_TIME_MS],
    [SESSION_CURRENT_DATABASE],
    [SESSION_ELAPSED_TIME_MS],
    [SESSION_ID],
    [SESSION_IDLE_TIME_MS],
    [SESSION_LAST_COMMAND],
    [SESSION_LAST_COMMAND_CPU_TIME_MS],
    [SESSION_LAST_COMMAND_ELAPSED_TIME_MS],
    [SESSION_LAST_COMMAND_END_TIME],
    [SESSION_LAST_COMMAND_START_TIME],
    [SESSION_PROPERTIES],[SESSION_READ_KB],
    [SESSION_READS],[SESSION_SPID],
    [SESSION_START_TIME],[SESSION_STATUS],
    [SESSION_USED_MEMORY],
    [SESSION_USER_NAME],
    [SESSION_WRITE_KB],
    [SESSION_WRITES]

FROM $SYSTEM.DISCOVER_SESSIONS

Use Dynamic Management Views (DMVs) to Monitor Analysis Services:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh230820.aspx

In addition, you can aslo use SQL Profiler to capture some events for further investigation.
    Use SQL Server Profiler to Monitor Analysis Services: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174946.aspx

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Regards,

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Friday, January 31, 2014 3:57 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by jonesri Friday, February 21, 2014 7:54 AM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 12:08 PM
  • Hi,

I think we have resolved this issue now so I wanted to come back and update this post.

It appears that it was the memory limits which were causing this error.  We have Analysis Services and SQL Server running on the same dedicated server.  The default memory limits for Analysis Services are 65% and 85% of the total memory on the server.  With SQL Server also on the same box Analysis Services wasn't able to get anywhere near this much memory.

We have updated the memory limits to 35% and 45% and the cube has been processing without error for a few weeks now.

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by jonesri Friday, February 21, 2014 7:57 AM
    Friday, February 21, 2014 7:57 AM