none
Database opened with Windows 10 - Access 2016 won't work for users with Access 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a database that is used by multiple users.  I've recently used it with a new Windows 10/Office 2016 machine and now the other users on older Win2007/Office 2013 machines cannot use the database.  What did my setup do to the database that creates this issue? 

Just to clarify, the database will open for the users on the older version, but it doesn't function properly.  It has some complex VB code that links to another db, and I'm thinking that may be the issue, but I can't seem to track down the root cause.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:07 PM

All replies

• Hi JoshC2001,

This forum is for Coed UI and web performance testing, and your issue is more related to Access, I will move it to corresponding forum for to you get a quick answer.

Btw, you could try to create new database to see if the issue still exists.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 5:57 AM
  • I suggest you read http://www.devhut.net/2017/04/09/setting-up-an-ms-access-database/, specifically the section regarding Splitting, Distributting and Supporting Multiple Versions.

When you opened the databases, your Access installation 'upgraded' the references, and may have even made changes to the file format.  So when a 2013 user opens it, they don't have the 2016 reference libraries ... and problems ensue.

• The db needs to be split
    • Each user need to be given their own personal copy of the front-end
    • All development must de done using the oldest version of Access that will be used to run the database, so in this case 2013

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2017 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:31 AM
  • In addition to Daniel's comment, you must also adhere to the "lowest common denominator" theory with all references. For example, if you're running Excel 2016 and make a reference to that library on your machine, but you have users running Excel 2013, the application will fail. As Daniel has suggested, you must do your dev work on a machine with Excel 2013 (or whatever version matches the oldest version you're expected to support).

-- Scott McDaniel, Microsoft Access MVP

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 1:41 PM
  • Thank you all for the comments and suggestions.  I'll try rolling back my references/object library to 2013 and see if that resolves the issue.
    Friday, September 29, 2017 2:55 PM
  • Hello,

Do you fix the issue? If the issue has been resolved, i suggest you share your solution or mark helpful post as answer to close this thread. If the issue persists, do you try to create a new database using 2016 and open it with 2013? 

Regards,

Celeste 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 7:53 AM
  • One thing I do is select the oldest version of any library I use in the references. That way most users can run your database without issue. And the Access compiler is smart enough to load the user's latest version of the library. For example, select Microsoft Active Data Objects 2.0 as a reference and Access will load the latest version whether it be 2.5, 2.7 or 6.1.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:56 PM