Building Metro C# App produces blank screen RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I build a C# metro app, all that is produced is a blank screen.  No debugging errors.  Here are the tests I've done on my local machine and in the simulator:

HelloWord in C#: Splash screen comes up (a box with an X in it), followed by a blank screen.  All the images in the Assets folder are boxes with x's in it but that doesn't really explain why only a blank screen shows after the the splash screen disappears.  (ie, 'My Application' or 'Hello World' or whatever text the tutorial asks to display, doesn't).

Javascript: Works fine.  The .png's in the assets folder are also x-boxes.

Of course there is the possibility that I can't follow directions to make a Hello World app, so I downloaded the sample C# and JavaScript apps with the following results:

C#: Blue Windows SDK Splash Screen followed by blank screen

JavaScript: Works just fine.

I do not have an NVidia driver like some other threads that discuss blank screens.

Running on:  HP Elitebook 2740p.  Intel Core i5 M520@2.40GHz. x86.  4 GB RAM.  Intel HD Graphics WDDM 1.1.  1280x800 resolution with an external monitor with 1440x900.  Windows 8 dual boot with Ubuntu.  VS 2012 RC.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Monday, June 11, 2012 8:47 PM

Answers

• Just to follow up:

When I initially installed Windows 8 I just did it over Windows 7.  Since then I have done a clean install of Windows 8.  C# metro apps work as they should now.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:09 PM

All replies

• If you create a Grid app and run it without making any changes, does it work or not?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:35 PM
  • Grid apps with no changes:

C#: Throws up the splash screen, then a blank screen.

JS: Works as it should.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:55 PM
  • This is really an OS issue, not a C# code issue.  Please redirect this question to http://answers.microsoft.com.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Just to follow up:

When I initially installed Windows 8 I just did it over Windows 7.  Since then I have done a clean install of Windows 8.  C# metro apps work as they should now.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:09 PM