Installation of SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 2 in transactional replication environment RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone please provide the steps for installing SQL Server 2008 SP2 in a transactional replication environment? I have read in some blogs that we need to install on the distributor first, then on publisher and lastly on subscribers. Is it the correct procedure? Do we need to reboot distributor, publisher and subscribers once the upgrade is done? And what are the impacts to the replication while this upgrade is being done?

Thanks,

Suman

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:19 PM

Answers

• Hello,

For environments using replication, please see the following:

“For environments using replication, please apply SP2 on the following order: the distributor first, then the publisher, and finally the subscriber.”

http://www.sqlcoffee.com/Tips0014.htm    

To my knowledge, replication should be suspended while the service pack will be applied on the distributor. Transaction will remain on the publisher until the distributor is available again.

When you apply the service pack on the subscriber, the replicaction from the distributor to the subscriber will be suspended, and transaction will be on the distributor until the subscriber is available again.

Setup will request a restart when needed when you install a service pack.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:31 AM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:30 PM

All replies

• Hello,

For environments using replication, please see the following:

“For environments using replication, please apply SP2 on the following order: the distributor first, then the publisher, and finally the subscriber.”

http://www.sqlcoffee.com/Tips0014.htm    

To my knowledge, replication should be suspended while the service pack will be applied on the distributor. Transaction will remain on the publisher until the distributor is available again.

When you apply the service pack on the subscriber, the replicaction from the distributor to the subscriber will be suspended, and transaction will be on the distributor until the subscriber is available again.

Setup will request a restart when needed when you install a service pack.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:31 AM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:30 PM
  • We have a setup where Publisher and Distributor run on the same machine. Does this mean I should patch Subscriber first and then Publisher ?

Also, should I have to manually disable replication jobs while patching either Subscriber or Publisher ? or they will suspend automatically.

KK

Monday, August 27, 2012 3:19 AM
  • Hello,

Apply on the publisher/distributor first, then on the subscriber.

Replication will be suspended automatically.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, August 27, 2012 3:32 AM