none
USB host client driver RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a usb host client driver that does bulk transfers. The transfers needs to be at very high speed, so I need to run the driver in kernel mode in Compact 7. I have not specified any registry setting for the driver's mode. Should I be sure that the driver is running in kernel mode?

Thanks, in advance.

Manas.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:50 PM

All replies

• If it is not specified in the reg setting to load the driver in user mode, the driver shall be running in the kernel mode.

More over USB driver has to service the interrupt, hence cannot be user mode.

--- Misbah

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:28 PM
  • Hi, thanks a lot for the reply. Yes that's definitely true that if no reg setting is specified the drivers runs in kernel mode. But not sure if this is true for the USB host client drivers.

Yes, I am actually talking about the USB host client driver which is the upper layer driver, for example the class drivers (mass storage, usb printer etc) or vendor specific driver.  To my understanding, the vendor specific drivers are installable on plug and play so they are supposed to run in user mode. I just have some doubt on whether Compact 7 is designed such that the host client drivers are loaded in user space by default instead of kernel space.

Thanks,

Manas.

Monday, March 4, 2013 6:27 AM