Random freezing and no sound? - Running Windows Developer Preview using Boot Camp

Question

• Hello guys,

I understand the Developer Preview is early software and most likely has problems. My problem though is hindering my ability to develop and use Windows 8. Every couple of minutes it will freeze for no apparent reason. It will just freeze and sit there and I find myself having to restart my computer over and over again. It ran fine till I started loading games and such to test on it, but it will freeze doing anything. I am running Windows on my Mac through Bootcamp. My specs are 3.06ghz Core 2 Duo/6gb DDR3 RAM/256MB Nvidia Geforce Video Card. I am running the 64-bit version of Windows 8 and I do not have this problem on Mac OS or when I had Windows 7.

My second question is a problem I also had in Windows 7 which is not as big of a deal, but i thought I would throw it in. The sound seems to only work when it wants and sometimes it will work but only for one or two applications and not the others. It can be a pain and is probably a driver incompatibility issue. I have re-installed the drivers many times with no success. I originally installed the driver through the Mac OS Install Disk.

Anyways if anyone could shed some light on these issues I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dylan

Friday, October 14, 2011 1:25 AM

All replies

• Since you run Windows in Bootcamp , it would be good idea to discuss these issues with apple support too, you could get start here:

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Friday, October 14, 2011 6:42 AM
  • This doesn't have anything to do with bootcamp, but might be specific to mac hardware support in this build. I tried Windows 8 dev preview on a Macbook Air 11 core i7 and have the same intermittent lockup issues. I am surprised you can even get past the boot and setup screens. If your machine would run long enough I would recommend you setup for safemode booting as described below to see if that helps isolate the issue:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/juanand/archive/2011/09/16/enabling-safe-mode-in-windows-8-developer-preview.aspx or
    http://cybernetnews.com/windows-8-safe-mode/ or
    http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-enable-windows-8-safe-mode/

If the machine doesn't run long enough to setup safemode, you might consider running Win8 from USB and either checking the logs on the machine's hard drive or trying to add safemode to the machine's hard drive setup, that is if it doesn't continue to lockup. Seems like a lot of trouble to remove the hard drive to check the logs or run the bcdedit command on the drive, if that is even possible.

I know that build 7989 would run fine on this hardware, so it must have been a recently introduced bug.

If you get past your current issues and manage to get the apple keyboard controller installed (that enables fn+shift as backspace and the function keys for backlight, volume, etc.) I would be curious how you do it. Even on a working build the installer never allowed an install in compatibility mode and I never found a manual way to extract and install the driver.

I am really surprised there isn’t an easier safe mode.

Please keep us apprised.

Friday, October 14, 2011 9:35 PM
  • May I ask you to try something : to test Windows 8 on any Monitor except Mac monitors.. so disable the monitor (with macbook and macbookd air) or disable the imac monitor.. or apple monitor for those having an iMac or a Mac.

It seems that the problems comes from the screen drivers from Apple and not from the graphic card or other piece of hardware.

Friday, November 25, 2011 4:36 PM
  • May I ask you to try something : to test Windows 8 on any Monitor except Mac monitors.. so disable the monitor (with macbook and macbookd air) or disable the imac monitor.. or apple monitor for those having an iMac or a Mac.

It seems that the problems comes from the screen drivers from Apple and not from the graphic card or other piece of hardware.

How do you disable the monitor on Macbook Air and Pro models?

I have already tried the developer preview build on the 11" i7 Macbook Air with the displayport plugged into a VGA external monitor. It freezes regardless.

On Win 8 builds prior to the developer preview, the graphics driver would install with backlighting off. In this case having an external monitor was especially handy since the machine seemed frozen with a black screen, but with the backlighting off it was hard to tell. Changing the backlighting or power setings fixed the problem. In the developer preview build my machine freezes with the screen fully lit, so that isn't the issue for me.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 2:55 AM
  • You can try a clean boot and see if you can tell if it could be a driver issue or a conflict with other software installed on the computer.
    The steps below will place your computer into a “clean boot”, meaning using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs so that we can determine whether a background program is interfering.

·       Go to Start page
    ·       Type msconfig on the Start page and then press ENTER.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    ·       On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
    ·       Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
    ·       Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
    ·       Click OK.
    ·       When you are prompted, click Restart.

Once the computer is back to your Desktop, check to see if you are still having the problem.

If the issue is resolved by placing the machine in “clean boot” then we have some sort of third party application and or service running that is possibly interfering. To determine which program(s) and or service(s) that is causing this, we would need to go back into “msconfig” and start to enable programs and services and reboot until we see which one causes the problem.  This can be a long process but is needed to find the conflicting program. You can enable groups of programs to take a shorter period of time and then if the problem occurs, you only have to enable and test with just those programs.

If placing the computer in “clean boot” does not fix the issue or identify the conflicting programs, then after the troubleshooting is done, follow the steps above “To return your computer back to normal boot”.

KB 929135 - How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 (There is not a Windows Developer Preview KB, use as for Windows 7)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

How to set your computer back, to boot normal:

1. Go to the Start page
    2. Type msconfig, and then press ENTER.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    Click the General tab.
    3. Click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.
    4. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Let us know if you were able to determine if there was a software conflict.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 8:40 PM
  • You can try a clean boot ... Type msconfig on the Start page ...

Marilyn

My machine doesn't run long enough to run msconfig.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 8:12 PM
  • Hi Krash,

can you start your repair while still in the boot manager stage ? In a dual boot scenario, if you are starting with a WDP graphic boot manager, you get repair options at the stage when you have to select either of the several OS's, are you getting those, F8 or similar repair options ?

Irfan
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:20 PM