How to perfectly set up a new client desktop - 2 tier deployment? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

For quite sometime I have abandoned LS since LS2011 because of its sluggish performance.  This means that I am not pretty updated with latest features of LS.  I noticed that there were quite number of improvements and updates made by LS team.  My question would still be on 2-tier deployment but using VSLS12.

I have a fresh machine connected in a home network, upon installing my LS app it ask me to install all required files like .net and silverlight, etc.  When running the application it give me a message "An error occured while communicating with the database."    I do understand that there something wrong with my databse connection.  Please note that I am using LS2012 update 2 and from my readings on some related threads VSLS12 update2 deploys "like a charm" as some says.  The question is:  Do I still need to deploy the database to the client desktop using "sqlcmd.exe" as what we did in VSLS11?  or Am I still to follow the procedures specified under "Install.htm" file in the publish folder?

Please enlighten me.

RKage

Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:19 AM

Answers

• Follow the instructions in install.htm, which instructs you to use sqlcmd.exe to setup the SQL Server with the proper database and tables.

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:58 AM
  • Hi Justin,

I have found the answer in this thread 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/e6d8b6ef-2da8-4407-a3d2-a2ae71603ae7/deploying-apllication-to-client-desktop

I would like to confirm that using VSLS2012 update 2 does not require you to follow the instructions provided in the "Install.htm" file in the publish folder.  Maybe it is only applicable when using LS2011.

RKage

• Marked as answer by RKage Saturday, September 14, 2013 7:33 AM
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 7:33 AM

All replies

• Follow the instructions in install.htm, which instructs you to use sqlcmd.exe to setup the SQL Server with the proper database and tables.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:58 AM
  • Hi Justin,

I tried using sqlcmd.exe in deploying my databse to client desktop but I am bugged with the "File not found message."   I have followed exactly the instruction step by step.  Hmnn, very strange because I was able to deploy this before in an old desktop where VSLS12 was also installed.  Do I need to install VSLS to this new desktop? I don't think so?

RKage

Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:17 AM
  • Hi Justin,

I have found the answer in this thread 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/e6d8b6ef-2da8-4407-a3d2-a2ae71603ae7/deploying-apllication-to-client-desktop

I would like to confirm that using VSLS2012 update 2 does not require you to follow the instructions provided in the "Install.htm" file in the publish folder.  Maybe it is only applicable when using LS2011.

RKage

• Marked as answer by RKage Saturday, September 14, 2013 7:33 AM
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 7:33 AM
  • Sure. If you deploy directly to the SQL Server, then you don't have to run the SQL script. If you didn't deploy directly, then you need to run it.

But I don't see how you stating that you did not follow the directions in the install.htm (I'm now assuming that you deployed directly to the SQL Server, since you haven't specified) fixes your problem of "An error occured while communicating with the database." because you didn't do anything. Unless you did something else that actually fixed this problem and you haven't described it (which would be the actual answer).

Saturday, September 14, 2013 9:55 AM
  • Hi Justin,

Sorry for not explicitly mentioning the process I did.  I actually republished my project and deployed directly to SQL Server.  Just as what described from the thread I mentioned above.

RKage

Saturday, September 14, 2013 12:23 PM