Desktop dev / Windowed app?

Question

• While I love the performance, C++ integration, etc.. of the new dev tool.

All of the new development technologies presented can only be used to develop fullscreen chromeless app! :(

My problem is, for the foreseeable future I'm writing desktop application, working in big screen, along side other app, call them utilities or business product. Full screen do not fit them. Particularly 26" 1900x1200 screen!

I know all previous technology are fully supported, but WinRT seems to feature an attractive super performance library that I'd like to use.

Is there any hope to use the new WinRT in a non-fullscreen chromed window? Or mix and match new COM/C++ native (view) model with my WPF views?

Just asking... hoping... 

Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:17 PM

All replies

• >WinRT in a non-fullscreen chromed window

Yes docked as a side bar.

>Or mix and match new COM/C++ native (view) model with my WPF views

Besides C++/CLI is not yet supported, the Win32 and WPF apps would appear on the traditional desktop that you can switch to via alt+tab, not in the full screen chrome.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Hello Lloyd,

This thread was created in the Windows Developer Preview: General OS questions  forum; the Microsoft Moderation team has moved this thread to the Building Metro style apps with C++  Forum.

Steven
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:24 AM