Azure IoT Hub, Python from Windows IoT on Raspberry Pi 3 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm curious about if I can run an "Azure IoT Hub Client" on "Windows IoT" while doing my processing in Python?

My bias to this configuration is that I have a decent amount of sensor experience and code libraries with Python and Raspbian,  but my client would like to run the OS Windows IoT.

Up until recently I figured it must be possible, but then saw this on GitHub.   Windows IoT is not mentioned.

I'm open to other suggestions. I did go down the C# road as well but I could not find enough examples on how to interface with my sensors.   I could figure it out, but it would be time consuming. 

Are there any obvious downsides to running Azure IoT Hub on Raspbian?

Thursday, December 8, 2016 9:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Loudhush,

The highlight says "Windows" and Windows IoT is based on Windows 10.  It comes in three versions; Enterprise, Mobile and Core.  As you are asking about the Pi, you can try some of the Python samples at WindowsOnDevices.Com > Samples.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, December 8, 2016 11:38 PM
  • I think I am having a mental block on this. Hopefully you can help me. 

When I run the Python examples for Windows Core on the PI, I strongly get the impression that the only way to run the scripts is though Visual Studio.  And doing the development/deployment this way has the limitation that I can't use PIP.

I also read that if the library I want to import into the app is written in C, then I can't use it from Visual Studio, and therefore can't use it on Windows Core on the PI.

Based on the understanding above, when I was having issues getting the Azure IoT Client running on Windows Core on the PI, I though the limitations above were causing me issues.    And I have not found a specific example of the above configuration anywhere.  

For clarity, I have used Python on Windows Core on the PI using the GPIO pins.  And it worked great. 

Thanks

Friday, December 9, 2016 3:15 PM
  • Hi LoudHush,

I have the following insights from an IoT Team member for you.

We are aware of this limitation.  PythonUWP only works with python packages that are written in python scripts. If the package depends on any compiled “C” modules (ie. *.pyd), it won’t work. This is because *.pyd are not compiled under WinRT. 

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, December 12, 2016 9:00 PM