Using a maps control in a page that also needs to be scrollable.

General discussion

• I need to add a maps control to one of the pages in my app, but the fact that maps are scrollable makes them awkward to use in pages that also have to scroll. The user may be swiping left and right to try and scroll the page, but if their fingers land on the map, they'll be scrolling the map instead of the page. This leads them to having to be careful where to put their fingers when using the app, which leads to a poor UX. In fact, in one of the BUILD 11 sections they even mention that you should avoid scrollable regions in your pages for exactly this reason.

I've been thinking of ways to avoid this, but they all have drawbacks. Making the maps control non-scrollable is one, but it limits the functionality. Making the map an icon that simply leads to a page that has a full-screen map is another way, but it doesn't seem as smooth.

What are people's opinions on this?

Friday, November 9, 2012 9:37 AM

All replies

• if you don't want the map to be scrolled, and just display the map, try

map.IsHitTestVisible = false;

tell me if you meant something else.

-----------------

please mark as answer if this helps you.

Friday, November 23, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Is it possible to overlay a button on top of the map?

Placing a button on a corner to enable all the functionalities of the map (scrolling, zooming, etc), so if they want to do it, the click in that button to enable it, but before that it will be a non scroll map so to not interfere with the main UI scrolling.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:42 PM