trying to understand billing. RRS feed

• Question

• I created a windows VM and running. I checked this months usage/bill and I am not quite understand below two items:

• Data Transfer Out (GB): 0.26GB, charged $0.03. From the pricing page, the first 50GB data transfer out are free, why I got charged for 0.26GB?
    • Storage (GB/month): 11.388665. charged $1.08. How this 11.388665 GB is calculated? I don't think I used that much of storage.

Thanks!

Monday, October 7, 2013 9:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>Data Transfer Out (GB): 0.26GB, charged $0.03. From the pricing page, the first 50GB data transfer out are free, why I got charged for 0.26GB?

From my experience, the first 5GB data transfer out are free, but you are charged $0.03, if costs generated by this, Please contact support team by creating a support ticket at http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/contact/

Or if that doesn't work because you don't have an active subscription you will need to contact general customer support to have them create a support ticket for you http://support.microsoft.com/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers?wa=wsignin1.0

>>Storage (GB/month): 11.388665.  Charged $1.08. How this 11.388665 GB is calculated? I don't think I used that much of storage.

Storage capacity is billed in units of the average daily amount of data stored (in GB) over a monthly period. For example, if you consistently utilized 10 GB of storage for the first half of the month and none for the second half of the month, you would be billed for your average usage of 5 GB of storage. If you want to know the detail of the storage, enable Storage Analytics is a good choice. Storage Analytics is enabled by a storage account owner; it is not enabled by default. All metrics data is written by the services of a storage account. As a result, each write operation performed by Storage Analytics is billable. Additionally, the amount of storage used by metrics data is also billable.

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

You are correct. As we create VM, we are creating VHD which is stored in Blobs. This does take up storage and we are charged for it. Note that as those VHDs are page blobs we are only charged for storage used by us and not by the actual size of VHD.

Please also read http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsazure/en-US/d46a5c18-a8ff-4a12-a991-bae8698bc846/define-other-disk-size-for-vm-os-disk?forum=WAVirtualMachinesforWindows

Regards,
    Ojas Maru ( My blog )

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 6:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>Data Transfer Out (GB): 0.26GB, charged $0.03. From the pricing page, the first 50GB data transfer out are free, why I got charged for 0.26GB?

From my experience, the first 5GB data transfer out are free, but you are charged $0.03, if costs generated by this, Please contact support team by creating a support ticket at http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/contact/

Or if that doesn't work because you don't have an active subscription you will need to contact general customer support to have them create a support ticket for you http://support.microsoft.com/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers?wa=wsignin1.0

>>Storage (GB/month): 11.388665.  Charged $1.08. How this 11.388665 GB is calculated? I don't think I used that much of storage.

Storage capacity is billed in units of the average daily amount of data stored (in GB) over a monthly period. For example, if you consistently utilized 10 GB of storage for the first half of the month and none for the second half of the month, you would be billed for your average usage of 5 GB of storage. If you want to know the detail of the storage, enable Storage Analytics is a good choice. Storage Analytics is enabled by a storage account owner; it is not enabled by default. All metrics data is written by the services of a storage account. As a result, each write operation performed by Storage Analytics is billable. Additionally, the amount of storage used by metrics data is also billable.

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. I will contact support for the Data Transfer Out (GB). (It is 5GB as you said, not 50GB free in my post)

As for storage, I didn't use any of blob, table, queue. I only had VM created. I checked the VM(windows), the C drive used about 16GB of data, mainly operating system, does that billable? 

If I created a VM but it is stopped, does the storage of this VM billable?

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 2:41 AM
  • Hi,

>> As for storage, I didn't use any of blob, table, queue. I only had VM created. I checked the VM(windows), the C drive used about 16GB of data, mainly operating system, does that billable?

If you didn’t use blob, table, queue, from my experience, you will not be charged.

>> If I created a VM but it is stopped, does the storage of this VM billable?You can check the status of your VMs in the Virtual Machines tab and also in the VM Dashboard. If the VM status is "Stopped" you are still being billed. Only status "Stopped (Deallocated)" means that VM is no longer incurring charges. The first example is a VM stopped using power option in Windows, which is still incurring charges, and the second example is a VM stopped from the management portal, which no long incurs any charge.

Best Regards

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 3:13 AM
  • Hi,

You are correct. As we create VM, we are creating VHD which is stored in Blobs. This does take up storage and we are charged for it. Note that as those VHDs are page blobs we are only charged for storage used by us and not by the actual size of VHD.

Please also read http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsazure/en-US/d46a5c18-a8ff-4a12-a991-bae8698bc846/define-other-disk-size-for-vm-os-disk?forum=WAVirtualMachinesforWindows

Regards,
    Ojas Maru ( My blog )

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 6:37 AM