Column Two is Wrapping Down and Under Column One RRS feed

• Question

• I have a simple two column layout (left column and page content) with masthead, nav, and footer.  When the page content extends beyond the ul (dropdown list) of the left column, it wraps down around the bottom all the way to the left of the page.

Also, the dropdown menu jumps up to the right of the nav bar if the window is wide enough!  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.aj81.net/DWT/Test.html

Kyle Hauenstein
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:11 AM

Answers

• Just to start with:

You've got "clear:both" in top_nav, but there is nothing above it that is floated, so there is nothing to clear.

On the other hand, "container" is below floated elements in the menu, but it doesn't clear the floats, so the menu is floated beside it.

As an aside, I notice you seem to be trying to center a div, which isn't happening because it has no width.  (Min-width doesn't count for centering.)

• Marked as answer by Haus10 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:48 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:47 AM

All replies

• Just to start with:

You've got "clear:both" in top_nav, but there is nothing above it that is floated, so there is nothing to clear.

On the other hand, "container" is below floated elements in the menu, but it doesn't clear the floats, so the menu is floated beside it.

As an aside, I notice you seem to be trying to center a div, which isn't happening because it has no width.  (Min-width doesn't count for centering.)

• Marked as answer by Haus10 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:48 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:47 AM
  • Thank you, that stopped the Dropdowns from jumping up to the Nav, now why is the page content wrapping under the nav?
    Kyle Hauenstein
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:34 AM
  • Publish your changes.  I can't guess what you've done or what you are seeing.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:52 AM