Deleting Data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have an extremely large plan that has bloated out to 54mb, I have got this down to 36mb by using the methods described elsewhere, however I would like to further reduce the file size

The plan contains around 6000 lines and for each line has multiple dates stored i.e. baselines 1-10, start 1-10 etc. I don’t actually need all this information, is there a way that I can delete the field and all the data within it, if I change all dates to NA this does not save me any file space ?

Or are there any other ideas ?

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 4:45 PM

Answers

• Also try to Clear Baselines /Interim Plans/ Start Finish Dates etc if not required through : Tools -> Tracking -> Clear Baseline option.
    Sapna S
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:27 PM

All replies

• 6000 lines doesn't sound like very much, really.  36 mb suggests a seriously corrupted file. And deleting some data as you suggest, I would not think would make much difference.  

Before we go much further with this, to avoid re-work by those who have ideas, could you summarise what "elsewhere" you mean?  

Did you see and use: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Handling_project_file_corruption_and/or_bloat ?

Are you able to go to a backup copy prior to the start of the appearance of corruption?

Once you restore the file, are you able to break it up into multiple files so that you reduce risk of data lost if/when corruption returns?

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    • Edited by Rob Schneider Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:05 PM added missing word.
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Yes http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Handling_project_file_corruption_and/or_bloat ? was what I meant by elsewhere.

I have tried method 1 and 2, repeated 2 and got down to 26mb, method 3 failed and I was concerned about methods 4 and 5 with respect to loosing information

I have only just been asked to assist with the plan so I don’t have any back up copies and as the planner has just changed on the project I doubt there is much history available

Breaking down is an option although the PM on the project is not keen

Thursday, January 6, 2011 10:13 AM
  • Also try to Clear Baselines /Interim Plans/ Start Finish Dates etc if not required through : Tools -> Tracking -> Clear Baseline option.
    Sapna S
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:27 PM