Adding new Reason for a specific State RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I have added a new reasons for a specific state in XML for Task WIT (Agile template).

I have made transitions and everything, but when I work in TFS and change a state for some task, I don't have the option to choose between all defined reasons for that transition, only the default reason appears and can not be changed.

Maybe someone could tell me what a problem might be or where should I define these reasons besides in Task XML as I have already done ?

Tnx and best regards,

Sanja

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 1:19 PM

All replies

• hello Sanja Alimpijevic,

Defiinitely, you need to export CommonConfiguration.xml of your project from TFS.

Then you need to edit it and add your reasons, like this way:

<BugWorkItems category="Microsoft.BugCategory" pluralName="Bugs" singularName="Bug">
        <States>
          <State type="Proposed" value="New" />
          <State type="InProgress" value="Active" />
          <State type="Complete" value="Closed" />
          <State type="Resolved" value="Resolved" />
        </States>
      </BugWorkItems>

and after that import it back.

P.S. do not forget use cmd and following commands:

cd c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\
    witadmin exportprocessconfig /collection:http://yourtfs.com:8080/tfs/yourcollection /p:yourproject /f:c:\yourpath\CommonConfiguration.xml
    witadmin importprocessconfig /collection:http://yourtfs.com:8080/tfs/yourcollection /p:yourproject /f:c:\yourpath\CommonConfiguration.xml

Thursday, July 27, 2017 11:09 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Tnx for your response.

I have already done that - adding states of a specific WIT in processconfiguration.xml. And imported back.

Reasons and Transitions, I have defined in witd.xml (XML regarding task in this case) and imported this file back.

But in TFS, when doing defined transitions, only the Default Reason could appear as a reason, and I can not choose between others that are also defined in XML.

Do you know what else could I try ?

Sanja

Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:10 PM
  • Please check this article as well, there could be some differences, however would definitely let you to check what was done wrong by you.

Also, try to change the default reason

Alex

Thursday, July 27, 2017 3:38 PM
  • Hi Sanja,

Check your WIT.xml, whether you set Reason readonly="true":

<Control LabelPosition="Left" Type="FieldControl" FieldName="System.Reason" Label="Reason" ReadOnly="True"/>

Please refer to this link:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23640871/unable-to-change-reason-when-adjusting-state-on-work-item-type-tfs2013

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 28, 2017 11:14 AM