none
Microsoft Project 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Microsoft Project 2013 as a strategic scheduler so I have nothing to do with money besides reporting to accounting person once a week on the percentage complete of each project. So really I am just needing MS project to keep track of the schedule. Let me give you an example of what I do so maybe someone can help me out. So lets say you're job Toyota, Honda, and Chevy send your company/division different cars every month with different vin numbers to run them through several different test between 10-20. You get over 100 a month and are tracking every step they go through and each Engineer over them. I have over 6500 lines and I have no good way of displaying this information to everyone for a schedule meeting. Does anyone have any ideas I have tried just about everything in MS project and can't find anything that works well. 
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 3:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Cody, 

Thanks for the screenshot. I am going to unpack the questions you had and try and answer, but if there is anything that you feel is not matching to your needs, feel free to reply!

1. Removal of Line 0 -- Select Format from the ribbon (once you have clicked on any of the cells) and then unselect the Project Summary Task

2. View things in a Calendar view - Calendar view is available if you right click on the place where it says GANTT CHART on the left (see image below)

3. I am a little confused on the Engineering column that you have mentioned. Have you made this as a text field or a resource field? What data are you capturing in this particular field -- is it a resource name ? Is it designation? Some other Alpha numeric field ?

• Marked as answer by Cody Edwards Tuesday, April 30, 2019 7:02 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 6:11 PM
  • Cody,

I didn't mean to imply that you need to use your real name as your user name. I just wanted to feel like I'm responding to a person by name (real or fictional).

Using a sample file is fine, all we need is a better feel for what you are trying to do and as long as the sample adequately portrays your scenario, that should be good enough.

When you say you would like to see it in the Calendar view you can certainly do that by selecting and formatting the Calendar view, but, that view is very limited in what it can show so it tends to not be very useful.

With regard to your customized field, which I assume is a text field you've renamed as "engineering", appearing in the Task Usage view, I think I answered that question in your other post (i.e. you can either manually copy it or use a macro).

Row 0 is the Project Summary Task. It can be shown or hidden via Format > Show/Hide on the ribbon.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 6:22 PM

All replies

• I have 6500 lines. 15 different engineers that have 3-4 different test's going on and each test has between 10-30 task's. 
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 3:51 PM
  • User,

First, it would be nice if you could give us a name, even if it's made up, so we know you by more than just "Microsoft Project 2013 Custom Field Settings", and then just "sign" your post with that name.

Unfortunately you've given us a bunch of information but as presented it's not very useful. You have a lot of tasks and multiple resources but it's not clear how you have the plan organized and more important, it's not clear what you want/need (i.e. what do you want to see or show).

If you can, a screen shot would be helpful, or if you are not yet able to attach a screen shot, give an example of your plan's structure and explain what you want to see.

John

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 4:14 PM
  • John,

Sorry I did not realize that my display name was saved like that. I actually made the account yesterday and did not know if I would get a response. So sorry for that. I will try and go into as much detail as I can and attach what I can. I will get back with you.

Thanks,

Cody

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 5:36 PM
  • What I am going to do is use an example because where I work I cannot send screenshots. So the best example I can think of is testing iphones so that is what I changed the Summary Task Name too. I would like to be able to view this in the calendar view if possible but I am not sure if that is possible. I would like to be able to be able to see the customized field from the Engineering column in the Gantt Chart to the Resource Usage Tab. Also, I would like to get rid of the 0 row in the gantt chart I am not sure how that got there but it messes up my entire project. 

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 5:55 PM
  • The numbers you see are just made up serial numbers and each one of the serial numbers under that test have the same steps as the one that you see above. 
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 5:56 PM
  • Hi Cody, 

Thanks for the screenshot. I am going to unpack the questions you had and try and answer, but if there is anything that you feel is not matching to your needs, feel free to reply!

1. Removal of Line 0 -- Select Format from the ribbon (once you have clicked on any of the cells) and then unselect the Project Summary Task

2. View things in a Calendar view - Calendar view is available if you right click on the place where it says GANTT CHART on the left (see image below)

3. I am a little confused on the Engineering column that you have mentioned. Have you made this as a text field or a resource field? What data are you capturing in this particular field -- is it a resource name ? Is it designation? Some other Alpha numeric field ?

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 6:11 PM
  • Cody,

I didn't mean to imply that you need to use your real name as your user name. I just wanted to feel like I'm responding to a person by name (real or fictional).

Using a sample file is fine, all we need is a better feel for what you are trying to do and as long as the sample adequately portrays your scenario, that should be good enough.

When you say you would like to see it in the Calendar view you can certainly do that by selecting and formatting the Calendar view, but, that view is very limited in what it can show so it tends to not be very useful.

With regard to your customized field, which I assume is a text field you've renamed as "engineering", appearing in the Task Usage view, I think I answered that question in your other post (i.e. you can either manually copy it or use a macro).

Row 0 is the Project Summary Task. It can be shown or hidden via Format > Show/Hide on the ribbon.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 6:22 PM
  • John,

Thank you very much. That answered those questions.

In the Gantt Chart my Dates go all the way back to 2009 for one of the test but I would like to format the dates shown at the top of the Gantt Chart to show 2019. Is there anyway to do this?

Also, in the resource usage view it is showing the outline number is there any way to get rid of the outline number. In the gantt chart it was easy to get rid of. 

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 7:02 PM
  • Cody,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

You'd have to put your "wayback machine" in reverse mode to turn 2009 into 2019 but maybe if you fold the wormhole just right, it could happen......:-)

Presentation of timescale dates in the Gantt Chart view are controlled by View > Zoom group > Timescale but I normally just double click on the header of the timescale to bring up the Timescale setting window.

Views in Project are made up of three elements, screen type, view table, group and filter. If you want to change the view table, (i.e. which fields appear as which columns and formatting information), for the Resource Usage view go to View > Data group and click on the Tables icon. It will show the current view table associated with the active view. Hit More Tables and then Edit. That will bring up the Table Definition view.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 8:32 PM