I suddenly lost access to all my VM's. RRS feed

• Question

• I suddenly lost access to all my VM's. They show running in the portal but not serving the IIS and cannot be RD into.

Is there a general problem with the service? If not - what are my options as I need the IIS service running again ASAP

Sunday, March 23, 2014 10:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. This shutdown is due to the Windows Azure platform deploying an update that required a reboot of the physical machine  to provides a reliable, efficient and secure platform for hosting your applications. Sorry to say that this type of proactive notification of planned maintenance is not currently provided, we encourage you to provide comments on this topic so we can take the feedback to the product teams.Thanks for your understanding and support.

In addition, if you don’t want the VMs shutdown at the same time, you can add VMs into availability sets so that it would give the Windows Azure Fabric Controller the information it needs to intelligently update the host OSs that your guest VMs are running on.

Best regards,

Susie

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Monday, March 31, 2014 2:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:44 AM
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:36 AM

All replies

• After 40 minutes of complete inaccessibility I'm now able to RD to my VM's. The IIS seems up but it's not accessible from outside (any of servers) so my website is not accessible. 

This must have been caused by some of your overnight updates as I found a VM which was running yesterday down this morning and other one from my availability set which was down last night was up this morning. 

Something went badly.

Sunday, March 23, 2014 10:34 AM
  • Ok, I'm back online. I'm glad it's back to normal but holy.... that was not a nice experience and the whole my service was down to external world for about an hour. Not good Microsoft.

Sunday, March 23, 2014 10:40 AM
  • In the future, I personally recommand taking  a look at http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/service-dashboard. You'll find detailed information on the Azure service status, whether their are up or down, whether Microsoft knows about the issue and when they expect the services to become on-line.

Alex

Sunday, March 23, 2014 9:51 PM
  • This would not have helped as Microsoft was not reporting any issues on the evening in question. You can view the history and note that no problems were reported on the 23rd for any areas.
    Monday, March 24, 2014 1:27 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. This shutdown is due to the Windows Azure platform deploying an update that required a reboot of the physical machine  to provides a reliable, efficient and secure platform for hosting your applications. Sorry to say that this type of proactive notification of planned maintenance is not currently provided, we encourage you to provide comments on this topic so we can take the feedback to the product teams.Thanks for your understanding and support.

In addition, if you don’t want the VMs shutdown at the same time, you can add VMs into availability sets so that it would give the Windows Azure Fabric Controller the information it needs to intelligently update the host OSs that your guest VMs are running on.

Best regards,

Susie

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Monday, March 31, 2014 2:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:44 AM
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:36 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. Good to know it wasn't just a random unknown problem. 

My VM's are part of the Availability Set, but this fact didn't save me. I think the problem was that during your update I manually spinned off that machine, shutting down the other one. The other one must have started updating so both got into the update mode and then I was able to spin any of them but they were just not serving. 

Notification would be nice. I'd like to see a note in my management portal beside my VM's list. Something saying DO NOT SPIN OR SHUT DOWN ANY VM'S NOW. 

My other problem is not related to the topic. I don't seem getting any notification emails about replies to my threads, can someone point me to where can I setup the notifications options?

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

To set alerts, you can click Quick access on the left top of this page and then click My alerts. After that, click Configure alerts and then you can check the Always alert me by default when I post option and fill your email address.

Best regards,

Susie

Friday, April 11, 2014 7:47 AM