ComboBox - ComboBox1There was an error rendering the control. RRS feed

• Question

• User1344226387 posted

Hello,

I am using the ComboBox from the Ajax Toolkit in VS2013. However I get the following error:

ComboBox - ComboBox1

There was an error rendering the control. Value cannot be null. Parameter name: Stream

When I try running it the dropdown appears outside of the textbox. Can anyone tell me what the problem is. Trioed changing the Render mode to Block , but this does not resolve the issue. Call ComboBox definition below:   

<cc1:ComboBox ID="ComboBox1" runat="server" OnSelectedIndexChanged="ComboBox1_SelectedIndexChanged2" RenderMode="Block" style="position:absolute"> </cc1:ComboBox>

regards

Pat

<!--?xml:namespace prefix = "cc1" /--><cc1:combobox id="ComboBox1" style=";" rendermode="Block" onselectedindexchanged="ComboBox1_SelectedIndexChanged2" runat="server">
            </cc1:combobox>

<!--?xml:namespace prefix = "cc1" /--><cc1:combobox id="ComboBox1" style=";" rendermode="Block" onselectedindexchanged="ComboBox1_SelectedIndexChanged2" runat="server">

Sunday, May 17, 2015 1:54 PM

All replies

• User2103319870 posted

If you have any scriptManager in your page, then set its ScriptMode to Release

<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" ScriptMode="Release">
            </asp:ScriptManager>

Sunday, May 17, 2015 2:18 PM
  • User-409062988 posted

I see the same thing, AJAX Kit 15.1 and VS2010

Have not found a work around yet.

Other controls are working.

I think this is a bug in 15.1

Any suggestions???

Sunday, May 17, 2015 3:34 PM
  • User1344226387 posted

Thanks a2h,

I added ScriptMode="Release" but it seems to have made no difference. I am also using AjaxControlToolkit 15.1.  Any other suggestions

regards

Pat

<!--?xml:namespace prefix = "asp" /--><asp:scriptmanager id="ScriptManager1" scriptmode="Release" runat="server">         </asp:scriptmanager>

Monday, May 18, 2015 3:28 PM
  • User1644755831 posted

Hello pclarke,

I tried this with VS2013 and AjaxControlToolkit 15.1. but it works fine with me. regardless of  ScriptMode. visual studio's version should not have any effect on this I believe.

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="WebForm31.aspx.cs" Inherits="WebFormsIdentity.WebForm31" %>

<%@ Register Assembly="AjaxControlToolkit" Namespace="AjaxControlToolkit" TagPrefix="cc1" %>

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head runat="server">
      <title></title>
    </head>
    <body>
      <form id="form1" runat="server">
        <div>
          <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" ScriptMode="Release"></asp:ScriptManager>
          <cc1:ComboBox ID="ComboBox1" 
            runat="server" 
            OnSelectedIndexChanged="ComboBox1_SelectedIndexChanged"
            RenderMode="Block"></cc1:ComboBox>
        </div>
      </form>
    </body>
    </html>

Can you try to create a new project and do this like I have done.

1. drag and drop both script manager and combobox to the form and then run.

Hope this helps.

With Regards,

Krunal Parekh

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 4:19 AM
  • User1344226387 posted

Hello Krunal,

I have the same code as your example

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="WebForm1.aspx.cs" Inherits="DCRulesWeb01.WebForm1" EnableSessionState="True" %>

<%@ Register Assembly="AjaxControlToolkit" namespace="AjaxControlToolkit" tagprefix="cc1" %>

I decided to remove AjaxControlToolkit and re-install it via NuGet.  So I installed AjaxMin, HTMLAgilityPack, WindowAzure.Storage which are dependancies of AjaxControlToolkit and then I installed AjaxlControlToolkit (the one which states it has 40 controls ). However after doing this when I go to explorer and look at references I can only see a reference to AjaxMin and no reference to AjaxControlToolkit.

I removed the comboBox and the ScriptManager from my webForm1 page and tried to add them again. I was able to see and add the scriptmanager. However whilst I could see ComboBox on the toolbar under heading AjaxControlToolkit15.1 I could not add it to the webform. (It drags across but does not add)

I am also seeing the following error:

Error 1 The type or namespace name 'AjaxControlToolkit' could not be found in the global namespace (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\Users\User\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\DCRulesWeb01\DCRulesWeb01\WebUserControl1.ascx.designer.cs 22 27 DCRulesWeb01

So now I am really stuffed. I'm not sure where I have gone wrong and not sure how I can fix it. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some details instructions how I might correct this problem. I am relatively new to c# and asp.net and web development , so the problem is most likely of my own doing

regards

Pat

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 5:38 PM
  • User1644755831 posted

Hello pclarke,

Did you install the toolkit using msi installer from here? https://ajaxcontroltoolkit.codeplex.com/ Seems like your references are wrong when you add AjaxControlToolkit it will add below reference

As for Ajax Min it seems it is a reference to http://ajaxmin.codeplex.com/ Ajax Minifier its enables you to improve the performance of your web applications by reducing the size of your Cascading Style Sheet and JavaScript files. As I suggested Create new project in which just AjaxControlToolkit reference is needed for me I have no need of AjaxMin, HTMLAgilityPack, WindowAzure.Storage references while using AjaxControlToolkit.

Here is a working Demo (2051106.zip)

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=27fab974ac31445f%21143

Hope this helps.

With Regards,

Krunal Parekh

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 10:01 PM
  • User1344226387 posted

Hi Krunal,

still no joy!!  I installed ajaxcontroltoolkit from codeplex and now have AjaxControlToolkit showing up under references. (c:\users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\Extensions\teptbuom.2gk\AjaxControlToolkit.dll) However still getting the very same error with a new application after dragging scriptmanager and combobox to new page.

ComboBox - ComboBox1

there was an error rendering the control.

Value cannot be null. Parameter name: stream

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="WebForm1.aspx.cs" Inherits="WebApplication2.WebForm1" %>

<%@ Register assembly="AjaxControlToolkit" namespace="AjaxControlToolkit" tagprefix="cc1" %>

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head runat="server">

<title></title>

</head>

<body>

<form id="form1" runat="server">

<div>

</div>

<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">

</asp:ScriptManager>

<cc1:ComboBox ID="ComboBox1" runat="server" RenderMode="Block">

</cc1:ComboBox>

</form>

</body>

</html>

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 5:10 PM
  • User1644755831 posted

Hello pclarke,

You could post your question here on AjaxControlToolKit Issues. 

https://ajaxcontroltoolkit.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic

You are likely to get more response from there.

Hope this helps.

With Regards,

Krunal Parekh

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 9:58 PM