Hi RRS feed

• Question

• If i have a series of T Log  backup's say for ex. from 10 am to 4 pm with an time interval of 30 mins  that is 10:30,11 am,11:30 and so on till 4 pm.now when i try to restore the same only a particular backup's fail to restore say around 3 pm,3:30 and 4 pm got failed. what are the possible reasons for restore failure and how to fix it?

can anyone please expalin this?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, June 2, 2014 7:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In order to restore the databse to the time X you need to start the restoration with the last full backup before that time and then restore ech of the log backups one by one from the one after the full backup till the one before th time X. You cn not restore log backup 4 befor restoring log backup 3 and so on.

check this link for more information:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179451.aspx

[Personal Site] [Blog] [Facebook]signature

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Friday, June 6, 2014 8:27 AM
    Monday, June 2, 2014 7:55 AM
  • Hi,

I am sure this is an interview question, peculiar quality of Transaction log restoration is that all logs must be accounted for and must be restored in sequence if you break the sequence or if intermediate log files are corrupted resotration will not continue or you would be able to restore only to valid log backup you applied.

Of course you need to check the sequence and also make sure you selected corect log backup to apply

With full back, diff backup and log backup restoration goes like

Full backup with no recovery, Latest differential backup taken aftre full backup with no recovery and then all subsequent log backup wit no recovery just the last log backup with recovery to make database online.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Monday, June 2, 2014 8:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to restore the databse to the time X you need to start the restoration with the last full backup before that time and then restore ech of the log backups one by one from the one after the full backup till the one before th time X. You cn not restore log backup 4 befor restoring log backup 3 and so on.

check this link for more information:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179451.aspx

[Personal Site] [Blog] [Facebook]signature

Monday, June 2, 2014 7:55 AM
  • Hi,

I am sure this is an interview question, peculiar quality of Transaction log restoration is that all logs must be accounted for and must be restored in sequence if you break the sequence or if intermediate log files are corrupted resotration will not continue or you would be able to restore only to valid log backup you applied.

Of course you need to check the sequence and also make sure you selected corect log backup to apply

With full back, diff backup and log backup restoration goes like

Full backup with no recovery, Latest differential backup taken aftre full backup with no recovery and then all subsequent log backup wit no recovery just the last log backup with recovery to make database online.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Monday, June 2, 2014 8:07 AM