none
How much does the network card impact speed of HTTP requests RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have a general question about HTTP requests. Let us assume that we will do alot of HTTP requests where we Max out a network card with the speed

10/100 Mb (PCI)

Now I wonder if I change network card to speed the below speed. Will this make a difference(I do have the fastest internet avaliable cable wise in the house so that is not a bottle neck)

10/100/1000 Mbps (PCIe)

My question is, how much does the network card speed in above case impact alot of HTTP requests. It could be 100 requests in a 5,10,15 seconds for example.

The HTTP requests are about 50 KB each.

Thank you!

• Edited by Silvers11 Sunday, March 31, 2019 7:40 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2019 7:30 AM

All replies

• Do some calculations: If you receive 100 requests for 50 KB, this means that you have to serve 5 MB of data. If these requests are received every 5 seconds, you have a maximum of 5 seconds on average to return the 5MB, which translates into 1 MB per second, or around 10 megabits per second (counting for some overhead when transmitting over the network).

This would max-out a 10 mbps network card, and you would notice a sluggish response if using such a card. But a 100 mbps card will barely notice the load. No need to upgrade to 1000 mbps.

Remember that the rest of the network has to be up to the task. It won't do you any good to have a very fast network card if you then go through a slow router or have a slow connection to the clients that are sending the requests.

Sunday, March 31, 2019 6:09 PM
  • Thank you, that make sense. I will upgrade both the router to 1000Mbps and also buy a 1000Mbps 

networkcard just in case. I beleive it is better to have some margin as I am not sure if can be even much more than 10 megabits per second.

Thank you!

Sunday, March 31, 2019 11:07 PM