none
is my Kinect broken ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just received the new kinect.

I installed the Kinect V2 Preview SDK, plugged it on a usb 3 port, on a machine running win8.1 pro.

The hub is showing a white light, which I presume is a good sign.

But the camera doesn't seem to work : the led isn't enabled, the fans aren't rotating.

Have I missed a "power on" button, or was the device broken during shipping ?

edit: samples app show a "Kinect not ready" message, I don't know what other diagnostic tools I can use.

edit2: "ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" <- is that the issue ? when plugging on another usb port, I get a "failed to enumerate device" error message

edit3: using another computer with an intel usb3 chipset seems to fix it. What USB3 PCI/PCIE controller would be compatible with kinect v2 ? Does it even exist ?

thanks in advance

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 12:15 PM

Answers

• You need a USB 3.0 hub with an Intel or Renesas chipset. Currently, that should cover most of the market.  The Kinect v2 sends through an amazing amount of data and these two chipsets are confirmed to be able to support the load.  People have occasionally gotten other chipsets to work but that could also vary from build to build.  To be safe, you want USB 3.0 with an Intel or Renesas chipset.

James Ashley

James Ashley - Presentation Layer Architect at Razorfish Emerging Experiences
    jamesashley@imaginativeuniversal.com
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com www.emergingexperiences.com

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:12 PM
  • I tried with another computer which has an intel usb3 chipset, and now it works.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:53 PM
  • Yes; those lights will show up only when the camera is being used, and the camera won't start if your usb port isn't compatible, that was my issue.
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:21 AM
  • We just determined that in the case of my laptop, the USB3 chipset is connected into the PCIx 1.0 bus. PCIx 1.0 will not support the required bandwidth to support the full USB3 bandwidth capability of 5.0GB/s or support the Kinect v2 bandwidth of ~2 GB/s of bandwidth.

Now manufacturing could change and you will have to check with your manufacturer but in my instance the sensor will not work because of that.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 5:35 PM

All replies

• same problem here. really annoying.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:41 PM
  • I tried with another computer which has an intel usb3 chipset, and now it works.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:53 PM
  • You need a USB 3.0 hub with an Intel or Renesas chipset. Currently, that should cover most of the market.  The Kinect v2 sends through an amazing amount of data and these two chipsets are confirmed to be able to support the load.  People have occasionally gotten other chipsets to work but that could also vary from build to build.  To be safe, you want USB 3.0 with an Intel or Renesas chipset.

James Ashley

James Ashley - Presentation Layer Architect at Razorfish Emerging Experiences
    jamesashley@imaginativeuniversal.com
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com www.emergingexperiences.com

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:12 PM
  • Intel and Renesas (I've seen them often branded as NEC too) usb controllers seems to be the only ones providing enough resources for the Kinect 2 to work. I'm currently using a PCI-E usb 3 controller (plugged on a x16 PCI-E port) with a renesas/nec controller without any problem.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:13 PM
  • exactly the same problem !

it's plug in my usb3 on my MSQ P8h67-M PRO.

I got a white light on power adaptator...But no light on the kinect

edit : i try on another pc but it's not support win7 !!!

WOW Champions !!

Reedit : i update my usb3 driver but still don't work.

on device manager : "This device cannot start. (Code 10) Current device power state cannot support this request. "

i need to buy an usb3 card ??? Which one ?

• Edited by fredano Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:47 AM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:23 PM
  • I have an NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 controller, but the kinect still does not work.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:30 PM
  • I just tested it on a PC with an Intel chip, and the sensor appears to be working fine. I can only conclude that older NEC chips (2011-ish) may not work.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:10 PM
  • Not working with NEC(Reneas) uPD720201.

MSI 760GM-P23. Cpu Fx4100. Win 8.1 pro.

Reneas 4 port USB 3.0 pci-e card.

Chipset ID: NEC(Reneas) uPD720201. Got latest driver.
    supports PCI Express 2.0 X1 Lane, up to 5 Gbps MAX.

Up to 900mA MAX / Port.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:34 PM
  • about the light color on the hub, you might want to check this page : http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-other-devices/kinect-for-windows/troubleshoot-power-issues-kinect-for-windows-v2
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:27 PM
  • I ordered a DeLOCK 89277 and a I-Tec PCE2USB3, I'll let you know which work (hoping at least one will !)
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:01 PM
  • ok your page speak about the power adaptor.
    i think there is another light on the kinect, next to the camera.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:50 AM
  • My Kinect is not working either, I have no lights on the Kinect just the white light on the splitter.

I have Windows 8.1 pro, DirectX 11 and a Renesas USB 3.0.

I get a noise when I plug in the Kinect to the PC and I can see a KinectSensor Device in the Device Manager.

When I run the samples I get "Kinect not available!".

How can I resolve this problem?

Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:27 AM
  • It would be so nice if some one could take a photo of a working kinect sensor.

It would help us to see which lights are available when working properly

Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:34 AM
  • Yes; those lights will show up only when the camera is being used, and the camera won't start if your usb port isn't compatible, that was my issue.
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:21 AM
  • Try with a computer that has an intel or nec usb3 chipset, or with a usb3 / pciE adapter among those known to work.
    I think a page with the list of working/non-working usb3 adapter or motherboards would be useful to everyone.
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:22 AM
  • No light at all will show when the camera is not being used; and it won't turn on if you don't have a compatible usb3 port.
    When the sensor is working - and only when it is being used by an application, from my memory it looks almost like the xb1 version :
    http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/files/2013/11/DSC_13711-1024x488.jpg
    except that instead of the Xbox logo, you have a small white light (and maybe one on the left, I'm not sure anymore).
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:32 AM
  • I only have one laptop, so I can't try another. It seems to fit the recommended specifications as it is a:

Dell XPS 502x : 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM processor.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M graphics card running DirectX 11.

Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller.

I have upgraded the operating system from Windows 7 to 8.1 pro.

However, I get no lights on the Kinect, only a white light on the splitter.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 12:19 PM
  • @VictoriaBloom -- Have you tried running the samples?  The white light on the splitter indicates that the Kinect is correctly connected to the PC. Please note that the sensore will take about a minute to update firmware on first plugin to the PC. 

Does it enumerate in Device Manager?

Chris White _MSFT_

Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:56 PM
  • I get a noise when I plug in the Kinect to the PC and I can see a KinectSensor Device in the Device Manager.

When I run the samples I get "Kinect not available!".

I waited for a long time and I tried both of my USB ports, different plug sockets and restarting the laptop.

However, I get no lights on the Kinect, only a white light on the splitter.

Below is a screenshot of my device manager showing the KinectSensor Device:

This is what happens when I run the samples apps, I just get a Kinect not available message:

Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:26 PM
  • This morning when I plugged in the Kinect I got the following message:

When I tried to debug it with Visual Studio I got the further following information:

KinectService.exe exception
    Unhandled exception at 0x00007FF6970977E3 in KinectService.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000000.

I also tried to run one of the sample apps within Visual Studio to get further insight and I found that the KinectSensor is open but not available:

Does anyone know what is causing this problem and if it can be resolved?

Friday, July 18, 2014 8:50 AM
  • @VictoriaBloom  I get the same problem as well and I'm also running a Dell XPS, Nvidia GT420 m and also upgraded from windows 7 to 8.1 with the renesas USB 3 host controller. I also get the white light in the splitter but no light on the kinect. Running the samples also comes with "kinect not available"
    Friday, July 18, 2014 9:38 AM
  • edit2: retesting everything with a geforce 560..

=> ok, this is really confusing. With the internal USB3 controler (the ASMedia one), the samples now show "kinect running" (but with a black screen).
    I originally thought my issue was with the USB3 controler(s), but apparently the GPU comes into play too.
    Without a proper diagnostic or error messages, there's no real way of knowing what's going wrong.

* The only USB3 controler here that is definitely *not* working here is DeLOCK 89277;

* the I-Tech PCE2USB3 is working (1)

* The ASMedia USB3 controler will get me a black screen but shows "Kinect is running"

1) provided there's a good enough GPU (Geforce 560).

• Edited by MatMarbeul Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:02 PM
    Saturday, July 19, 2014 11:24 AM
  • Mine didn't work in Dell XPS laptop even though it had USB 3.0. It worked perfect on Dell Precision M4800

Saturday, July 19, 2014 6:28 PM
  • What about a Surface Pro? I would assume it has the Intel USB but I have the sensor plugged directly to the USB 3.0 port and get nothing.

Hupbaby

Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:12 PM
  • Hi,

I have a DELL XPS 702X, 16GB, Rensesas 3.0, Nvidia GT550, etc.

Do you know of anyone that has gotten it to work on a DELL XPS machine?

I've tried everything.

Giovanni

Monday, July 21, 2014 3:14 PM
  • The Dell XPS 702 is a known machine that doesn't work right now(I have the same one with GT555M chipset). The team is working on trying to determine the cause of the failures. No ETA on that.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, July 21, 2014 7:07 PM
  • Hi,

Before I return my Kinect, is there any hope to get it to work with the DELL XPS 702?  I can't seem to add a PCI card, etc.  Any hope or workarounds or do I return it?

Giovanni

Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:30 PM
  • We just determined that in the case of my laptop, the USB3 chipset is connected into the PCIx 1.0 bus. PCIx 1.0 will not support the required bandwidth to support the full USB3 bandwidth capability of 5.0GB/s or support the Kinect v2 bandwidth of ~2 GB/s of bandwidth.

Now manufacturing could change and you will have to check with your manufacturer but in my instance the sensor will not work because of that.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 5:35 PM
  • Fantastic! Where on the box or in the online store does Microsoft advertise said requirement?

By the way, I have an Intel one on my Gigabyte Z97N-Wifi board and it still does not work.
    • Edited by VRsenal3D Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:47 PM
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:36 PM
  • I am getting the same issue on my ASUS G751J.  Tried all the USB3.0 ports same result (stuck in a loop saying "Unable to enumerate").

It has a Thunderbolt port, anyone successfully got one to work with a USB hub connected to Thunderbolt port?

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 10:28 PM