none
Biztalk 2006R2 Outbound X12 file RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of creating X12 files outbound with BizTalk. Currently, our process loads the X12 files into a database. The next step that I need to do is to re-create the files to X12 format after back-end processing. We have the schema that matches the table, but keep running into problems where the file does not want to create entirely. Only some of the fields are created. Can anyone tell me if I have to create the schema based on the xml file or can I create the schema based on the table. There is very little, if any, informaiton on the steps to process edi files on BizTalk, so any help is greatly appreciated. The only way we can get this to work is to create a schema based on the output xml file from biztalk. Then create a the schema and it appears to map. It seems like there are too many steps and I am wondering if anyone has found a better way to create X12 files with BizTalk. I have pasted the two examples below of the one that seems to work and the one that does not. We are not entirely sure why one seems to work over the other with minor differences on the attributes. Granted, some of the columns in the tables may not have data during processing. Thank you in advanced for your help. 

Works

- <xs:element name="Repository">
    - <xs:complexType>
    - <xs:sequence>
    - <xs:element name="PRO_837">
     <xs:element name="Trans_ID" type="xs:unsignedInt" />
     <xs:element name="MemberName" type="xs:string" />

Does not work

<xs:element name="Repository">
      <xs:element xmlns:q1="Request" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded" name="PRO_837" type="PRO_837_HEADERType" />
      </xs:sequence>
      </xs:complexType>
      </xs:element>
    - <xs:complexType name="PRO_837_HEADERType">
      <xs:attribute name="Trans_ID" type="xs:string" />
      <xs:attribute name="MemberName" type="xs:string" />

New post
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 9:06 PM

Answers

• Carlos,

Thanks for the call.  So that everyone knows, the issue is not EDI related, but is that you are having problems extracting data from a SQL Server database.  The data happens to be EDI, but that is not a cause of the problem.

Take a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa577376.aspx, which is information for the BizTalk SQL Server Adapter.  There is also a sample for usage of this adapter in the BizTalk SDK directory.

Hope this helps,

Jim -- Pro Mapping in BizTalk 2009, Apress Books, March 23, 2009
    • Marked as answer by Carlos T. _ Friday, March 13, 2009 6:19 PM
    Friday, March 13, 2009 2:57 PM

All replies

• Carlos,

I'm not sure I understand this problem.  Creating X12 files in BizTalk is extremely easy.  What you appear to be describing in your post is some process unrelated to creating the files in BizTalk. 

Generally, you create an XML file that matches the data to be retrieved from your database.  This may be driven by the database tables or may be of your own design, as long as the data can be retrieved and inserted into the XML schema.  This process, including the schema design, has nothing to do with X12.

You then create a map that moves the data from your schema into the X12 schema.  Once that is done the schema is passed through the EDISend pipeline component.  That component converts the file to X12.

---

Your process may be as I just described, but does not appear to be so per your post.  Please email or call me and I will try to help you.

jim@sspsi.com
    919-548-6521

Friday, March 13, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Carlos,

Thanks for the call.  So that everyone knows, the issue is not EDI related, but is that you are having problems extracting data from a SQL Server database.  The data happens to be EDI, but that is not a cause of the problem.

Take a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa577376.aspx, which is information for the BizTalk SQL Server Adapter.  There is also a sample for usage of this adapter in the BizTalk SDK directory.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by Carlos T. _ Friday, March 13, 2009 6:19 PM
    Friday, March 13, 2009 2:57 PM
  • Jim I really appreciate your help and taking time off your busy schedule to help out. It turned out it was the schema. I ended up generating a schema from BizTalk and it worked. You are right, I have to be careful in how I generate the schemas. Just like you said, I used the SQL adapter from the administration and generated the schema. Again, thank you  for your help.
    New post
    Friday, March 13, 2009 6:19 PM