Dashboard Designer Connection Errors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

SharePoint 2010 single box deployment on my laptop running Server 2008 R2 and SQL 2008 R2.

I can access the SharePoint BI site just fine and can launch the dashboard designer with no problems.  

When I try to create a KPI, indicagtor or dashboard I see the following error:

The list no longer exists or you do not have permissions to view it.  The dashboard cannot be saved.  Additional details have been logged for your administrator.

I look in event viewer and see:

The user "SHAREPOINT\system" attempted to save an item in the following location: http://alanserver/sites/BI/Lists/PerformancePoint Content

Verify that the location exists and that the user has the "Add Items" permission.
    Exception details:Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.BpmException: An unexpected error occurred. Error 16858. Additional details have been logged for your administrator.
    at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.BIMonitoringServiceApplicationProxy.ExecuteOnChannel(CodeBlock codeBlock)
    at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.BIMonitoringServiceApplicationProxy.GetSettingValue(String key)
    at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.ServerCommon.AppSettings.GetValueAsInt(String key)
    at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.Store.SPFcoCache.Add(Guid webSiteID, RepositoryLocation location, FirstClassElement element, SPListItem item)
    at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.Store.Dao.SPListItemDao.Create(ISPFcoCache cache, Guid webSiteID, String listUrl, FirstClassElement element)

I was accessing the system as Administrator.  I have checked permissions on the list and that account has full permissions.  I tried logging in as another user with full control and still the same.  I also tried granting the "Sharepoint\system" account full access and still no luck.  However, if I go back in and check the library I see that a new item was created each time (e.g., New Indicator) but I can't see them in dashboard designer.

Also, whenever I try to create a data connection I get the following error:

An unexpected system error has occured.  Additional details have been logged for your administrator.

I look in event viewer and see:

An unexpected error occurred. Error 16858.

Exception details:

System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unrecognized attribute 'allowInsecureTransport'. Note that attribute names are case-sensitive. (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\WebClients\PpsMonitoringServer\client.config line 32)
    at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.EvaluateOne(String[] keys, SectionInput input, Boolean isTrusted, FactoryRecord factoryRecord, SectionRecord sectionRecord, Object parentResult)
    at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.Evaluate(FactoryRecord factoryRecord, SectionRecord sectionRecord, Object parentResult, Boolean getLkg, Boolean getRuntimeObject, Object& result, Object& resultRuntimeObject)
    at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSectionRecursive(String configKey, Boolean getLkg, Boolean checkPermission, Boolean getRuntimeObject, Boolean requestIsHere, Object& result, Object& resultRuntimeObject)
    at System.Configuration.ContextInformation.GetSection(String sectionName)
    at System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ConfigurationHelpers.UnsafeGetSectionFromContext(ContextInformation evalContext, String sectionPath)
    at System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ClientSection.UnsafeGetSection(ContextInformation contextInformation)
    at System.ServiceModel.Description.ConfigLoader.LookupChannel(String configurationName, String contractName, Boolean wildcard)
    at System.ServiceModel.Description.ConfigLoader.LoadChannelBehaviors(ServiceEndpoint serviceEndpoint, String configurationName)
    at System.ServiceModel.ChannelFactory.InitializeEndpoint(String configurationName, EndpointAddress address, Configuration configuration)
    at System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ConfigurationChannelFactory`1..ctor(String endpointConfigurationName, Configuration configuration, EndpointAddress remoteAddress)
    at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.BIMonitoringServiceApplicationProxy.CreateChannelFactory[T](String endpointConfigurationName)
    at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.BIMonitoringServiceApplicationProxy.GetChannel(Uri address)
    at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.BIMonitoringServiceApplicationProxy.ExecuteOnChannel(CodeBlock codeBlock)

Any suggestions?

Alan

• Edited by Alan Whitehouse Sunday, November 22, 2009 2:04 PM order of items
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 2:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please install the WCF hot Fix for Windows Server 2008 R2 prior to this step.  I believe it should be public soon. 

Can you please verify the following see it helps? 

1. Central Administration | Application Management | Manage Service Application | Double click Secure Store Application | Generate New Key

2. Central Administration | Application Management | Manage Service Application | PerformancePoint Service Application | Manage | Update the PerformancePoint Unattended Service Account – First option   

This step needs to be successful, if there is a failure please delete the PerformancePoint Service Application and recreate it.

3. Central Administration | Application Management | Manage Service Application | PerformancePoint Service Application | Administrator | Add the Unattended Service Account and Mark Full Control.

Thank you,
    Sundar - MSFT

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 5:23 PM

All replies

• Anyone run into this yet?
    My Ramblings @ http://alanwhitehouse.wordpress.com
    Monday, November 23, 2009 1:35 PM
  • Exactly my same problem, any help will be appreciated.
    Miguel
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:28 PM
  • Hi,

Please install the WCF hot Fix for Windows Server 2008 R2 prior to this step.  I believe it should be public soon. 

Can you please verify the following see it helps? 

1. Central Administration | Application Management | Manage Service Application | Double click Secure Store Application | Generate New Key

2. Central Administration | Application Management | Manage Service Application | PerformancePoint Service Application | Manage | Update the PerformancePoint Unattended Service Account – First option   

This step needs to be successful, if there is a failure please delete the PerformancePoint Service Application and recreate it.

3. Central Administration | Application Management | Manage Service Application | PerformancePoint Service Application | Administrator | Add the Unattended Service Account and Mark Full Control.

Thank you,
    Sundar - MSFT

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 5:23 PM
  • While I was waiting on a response I did an uninstall and reinstall of SP and also added the hotfix.  Not sure what fixed the problem but it is now working.  Thanks.

Alan
    My Ramblings @ http://alanwhitehouse.wordpress.com
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:29 PM
  • WCF fix is already released to the public.
    Windows Server 2008/Vista:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkID=160770
    Windows Server 2008 R2/Windows 7:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=166231
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Hi,

I have exactly the same error as Alan did have but I can't fix it.

I have set up an unattended target account which I use for the visio graphics service but I'm not sure that this is the same thing as the unattended service account that you mention; I also cannot work out how to apply this account to PPS or find the Mark Full Control option.

Pease could you explain?

Rich
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Thanks worked for me :)
    Friday, February 19, 2010 2:35 AM
  • We have WTC Hotfix installed and Unattended User added to Administrators group for that PerformancePoint Service Application. Still no go. Any other suggestions?
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 8:49 PM
  • I was having the same problem. I have created a new site and it works fine. I think site sould be created after configuring Performance Point Service in the Central Administration. Otherwise you might need to activate PerformancePoint Services Site Feature in your site.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:43 PM
  • Hi,
    I currently have SP2010 installed on a devmachine. We are currently running the SP1. Its running Win Server 2008 R2. I have configure PerformancePoint with an unattended service account, gave it farm admin permission, owner of BI Site collection. There is no resources that have access restrictions.

The BI Center is created within a basic Site Collection. The unattended service account was created after we encountered the first issue trying to make the connection.

ISSUE:
    Error message when I create a Data Connection on Dashboard Designer. I am attempting to connect to a local SharePoint List, therefore, there should not be ANY permission problem.
    However the error still comes saying,

"The data is longer available or you don't have permission to view it. Additional details have been logged with administrator."

Any suggestion would be helpful

Regards,
    AJ

Ajmal
    Friday, November 18, 2011 12:11 PM
  • This error can also occur if you have deployed the BI Center Site before creating your supporting PerformancePoint Service Application.

In such a case the resolution is to delete the site....create and configure the Service Applcation....then redeploy a new site. 

Stowner

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:00 PM
  • I'm having the same problem! Can anyone help?

MedFast Urgent Care

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:26 PM
  • Your solution has helped me a lot. Thanks very much.

Vijay Ramshetty

Monday, June 25, 2012 8:36 AM
  • Thanks for all the replies here. This is how I solved my error: I had not configured the unattended account and so I did that. Tried connecting -> it failed. Restarted Performance Point Services -> Failed again. And re-booted the server -> it worked!

Here's a blog post on related topic: http://parasdoshi.com/2012/10/17/an-unexpected-system-error-occured-while-trying-to-establish-a-data-connection-in-performance-point-2010-dashboard-designer/

Paras Doshi (Blog: ParasDoshi.com | Twitter: @Paras_Doshi )

Monday, October 22, 2012 7:32 PM