none
Calendar for tracking proposals deadlines and associated reporting deadlines. RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to track a bunch of different grant projects. For each grant, I need to track application deadline and submission status and - if received - monthly, quarterly, and/or annual reports. I would like to be able to view all of this in a SharePoint calendar so that I can connect it to Outlook.

I suppose I could make two content types, and two separate entries for each grant project... One for the grant application process (which would be a one-time event) and another for the grant reporting process (which would be a recurring event). Would there be a way to connect the two events?

Is there a better way to set this up?

Saturday, February 2, 2013 5:10 AM

Answers

• Hi EdwardLee,

for your solution I already tried rough of it, but quite hard if not using the feature from the sharepoint.

I hope what I understand is the same as you:

The calendar feature in SharePoint allows teams and individuals to track  important meetings and deadlines. SharePoint includes two email features: one  allows you to email Outlook meeting notifications to the calendar, rather than  re-entering the information manually in SharePoint, and the other feature alerts  you to calendar changes.

if yes, then here is the steps:

Set Up Incoming Email to a Calendar
    1 From the calendar view, click “Settings,” and click “List Settings” from the drop-down list.
    2 Under “Communications,” click “Incoming e-mail settings.” This option will not be available if your system administrator has not enabled it; you must have it enabled before you can continue.
    3 In the “E-Mail” section, click “Yes” to enable email. Type the alias that you want to use to receive email to the calendar.
    4 In the “E-Mail Attachments” section, choose whether you want the calendar to save attachments to incoming emails.
    5 In the “E-Mail Security” section, select whether to archive email only from site members who can edit or add to the list, or to accept all email. Note that if you accept all email, it is possible for unauthorized individuals to make changes to your calendar.
    6 Click “OK.”
    7 To send an email to your calendar, create a meeting or event in Microsoft Outlook and email it to the alias you created in Step 4. If you have selected to only allow emails from authorized users, you must email to your calendar using the address associated with your SharePoint user account.

Get Notifications of Calendar Changes and Dates
    8 From the calendar view, on the left side of the toolbar near the top of the calendar screen, click “Actions.” Select “Alert Me” from the drop-down list. You are taken to the New Alert page.
    9 Next to “Alert Title,” give your alert a title that will allow you to easily identify it in a list of alerts.
    10 Next to “Send Alerts To,” verify your contact information. If you have the right permissions, assigned by site administrators, you may also send this alert to other SharePoint users. Click the “Check Names” icon to verify you’ve entered other user names accurately. Click the “Browse” icon to search for the names if SharePoint cannot find them. (Note that there is no feature in SharePoint to prevent other users from deleting your alert from their alert list.)
    11 Next to “Change Type,” choose the type(s) of changes you want to receive notifications about.
    12 Next to “When to Send Alerts,” specify notification frequency. For example, if you choose to receive alerts daily, SharePoint will log each alert as it happens and send notifications on the specified schedule.
    13 Click “OK.”

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.
    I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks ,
    Entan Ming

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 4, 2013 10:12 AM
  • Hi EdwardLee,

for your solution I already tried rough of it, but quite hard if not using the feature from the sharepoint.

I hope what I understand is the same as you:

The calendar feature in SharePoint allows teams and individuals to track  important meetings and deadlines. SharePoint includes two email features: one  allows you to email Outlook meeting notifications to the calendar, rather than  re-entering the information manually in SharePoint, and the other feature alerts  you to calendar changes.

if yes, then here is the steps:

Set Up Incoming Email to a Calendar
    1 From the calendar view, click “Settings,” and click “List Settings” from the drop-down list.
    2 Under “Communications,” click “Incoming e-mail settings.” This option will not be available if your system administrator has not enabled it; you must have it enabled before you can continue.
    3 In the “E-Mail” section, click “Yes” to enable email. Type the alias that you want to use to receive email to the calendar.
    4 In the “E-Mail Attachments” section, choose whether you want the calendar to save attachments to incoming emails.
    5 In the “E-Mail Security” section, select whether to archive email only from site members who can edit or add to the list, or to accept all email. Note that if you accept all email, it is possible for unauthorized individuals to make changes to your calendar.
    6 Click “OK.”
    7 To send an email to your calendar, create a meeting or event in Microsoft Outlook and email it to the alias you created in Step 4. If you have selected to only allow emails from authorized users, you must email to your calendar using the address associated with your SharePoint user account.

Get Notifications of Calendar Changes and Dates
    8 From the calendar view, on the left side of the toolbar near the top of the calendar screen, click “Actions.” Select “Alert Me” from the drop-down list. You are taken to the New Alert page.
    9 Next to “Alert Title,” give your alert a title that will allow you to easily identify it in a list of alerts.
    10 Next to “Send Alerts To,” verify your contact information. If you have the right permissions, assigned by site administrators, you may also send this alert to other SharePoint users. Click the “Check Names” icon to verify you’ve entered other user names accurately. Click the “Browse” icon to search for the names if SharePoint cannot find them. (Note that there is no feature in SharePoint to prevent other users from deleting your alert from their alert list.)
    11 Next to “Change Type,” choose the type(s) of changes you want to receive notifications about.
    12 Next to “When to Send Alerts,” specify notification frequency. For example, if you choose to receive alerts daily, SharePoint will log each alert as it happens and send notifications on the specified schedule.
    13 Click “OK.”

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:08 AM