How to highlight the selected item in a DFWP list RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a DFWP which returns a list of BDC items that match a querystring parameter and they are shown in a collapsed fashion with the topmost record selected. When expanded, the list shows summary data for that list item but this doesn't update the selection.

My problem is that there is no visual indication of any kind whatsoever which shows the selected item in the list as opposed to the expanded item.

If I click on the customer's name, it does a postback which does "select" that customer, and the connected web parts do update to show related data for that customer - but this doesn't leave any indication on the list as to which item is currently selected, and additionally it collapses the view.

By way of demonstration: the page initially loads with Customer 1 selected. 

+ Customer 1
    + Customer 2
    + Customer 3
    + Customer 4

After clicking on Customer 4, the collapsed list looks exactly the same as it did when the Customer 1 was selected:

+ Customer 1
    + Customer 2
    + Customer 3
    + Customer 4

The user can at this point expand Customer 3, but this does not "select" Customer 3.

+ Customer 1 (currently selected item, not highlighted or expanded)
    + Customer 2
    - Customer 3 (expanded item, not selected)
        Number of account references
        Number of orders
        Other summary data...

+ Customer 4

I don't like this - the active customer has changed twice without any change in the UI, and on the third action it didn't change at all, but the UI has changed. A user might think they're looking at Customer 3 related data in the other web parts, but they are still looking at Customer 4.

What I want, is for the page to always expand (and highlight) the selected customer in THIS web part, after a page load or refresh, so a user can easily identify which item is providing data to the other web parts and there is a clear distinction between the expanded current selection and other customers in the list (which are expanded but aren't selected).

Can anyone suggest the best approach?
    Tim Staddon
    • Edited by tstaddon Friday, September 26, 2008 2:55 PM
    Friday, September 26, 2008 2:51 PM