none
Challenge of the Month - June 2018 RRS feed

• General discussion

• These challenges are intended for people who are learning to program for the first time or for those returning to programming who want to start using Small Basic.  Some will be easy, some will be hard - but they will all make you think, and more importantly be GREAT FUN!

Please post your solutions / partial solutions / questions / feedback etc. into this thread that will remain 'sticky' for the month.  The only rule is that your solution must use standard Small Basic methods (no extensions).

It would be good if people could post their problems with these challenges so that a discussion can start so that everyone can learn from each other.

We may extend these challenges over into a second month if solutions and questions are still coming in.

TextWindow Challenge

Get the user to enter some letters.  Then output whether they are:

• All consonants
    • All vowels
    • A mixture

Stopwatch Challenge

Write a program to create a handy stopwatch, with Start/Stop, Pause and Reset functionality, while displaying the elapsed seconds and minutes.

Graphics Challenge

Draw some balloons that float around the GraphicsWindow.  Perhaps add strings, trailing down.

Can you pop them when you click one with the mouse.

Design Contemporary Ideas: Balloon Decorations

Probability Maths Challenge

Based on a recent Small Basic thread by antioio glez, can you simulate the Monty Hall problem in the GraphicsWindow.  Perhaps 3 buttons representing the doors, that are hidden as doors are selected to reveal a prize or not behind.  The host (computer) asks you to select a prize winning door (there is one prize randomly selecetd behind one of the doors).  After you have chosen, he reveals one of the other doors that has a booby prize, do you one to keep or change your choice of door to win the prize?

Maths Challenge

Draw shapes: rectangles, triangles, circles, ellipses or others that have either:

• Area of 10000 pixels
    • Perimeter of 400 pixels

Do you have an idea or a future challenge? Please post it here!

Friday, June 1, 2018 5:33 PM

All replies

• it looks akward but ID QPC753 can be JuNe 2018 chalenge we will learn programming and also will have a little fun       
    QPC753 is a animation program 1= the stick figures are moving from left to right i want them to move from right to left i changed the - sign to + in the line 20 the figures move right to left but once gone of the screen they dont apear again 2= i also wont them to move one at a time 3= the second one should move when the first one returns                                                                                                                 mahreen miangul

Saturday, June 2, 2018 4:08 PM
  • See some answers in your other topic.

Jan [ WhTurner ] The Netherlands

Saturday, June 2, 2018 5:03 PM
    Answerer
  • added some effects and rotation of arms

KBN084

Saturday, June 2, 2018 8:56 PM
  • KBN084 i am the lazy one who cant do the ld shapes sorry first i have to master the language then the extantions         thankyou                                                                                                                       mahreen miangul
    Sunday, June 3, 2018 4:23 AM
  • the answers in my second topic are very good but either i cant understand them or they are too advance for me thankyou                                                                                                           mahreen miangul
    Sunday, June 3, 2018 4:26 AM
  • This is my first step for the graphics challenge: PTT575.

I've not considered air resistance yet.

Screen shot of a program Balloons

Nonki Takahashi

Sunday, June 3, 2018 3:23 PM
  • nice done nonki!

made a mini game from ur baloons: VBZ080

• click to remove a baloon
    • added baloon threads
    • added pics from flickr to bg

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 5:12 AM
  • This is my solution for the probability maths challenge: NWT359.

Usage:

1. Download NWT359 and save to your folder.
    2. Download following images to the same folder.
    3. Run.
    4. Click to select the first door.
    5. Click to reselect the door.

car.png car.png

goat.png goat.png

Nonki Takahashi

Friday, June 8, 2018 8:15 AM
  • how can i publish picture to SB forum and than import the same a demo program will help            mahreen miangul
    Saturday, June 9, 2018 1:43 PM
  •  make KBN084 with no LD Ext:                                                   mahreen miangul
    Saturday, June 9, 2018 1:45 PM
  • how can i publish picture to SB forum and than import the same a demo program will help            mahreen miangul

1[ Post the image

2] Right click over image and 'Copy Image Location' or similar for different browsers

3] Use the location (paste from clipborad) into your program

img = ImageList.LoadImage("https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/1280553")
    Shapes.AddImage(img)

Saturday, June 9, 2018 4:06 PM

1] Post the image ... check the following TechNet Wiki article.

MSDN/TechNet Forums: How to Insert an Image

Nonki Takahashi

Sunday, June 10, 2018 1:57 AM