How to check Instance installed date RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Friends,

How can i check Installed date of sql server.

Thanks

Shashikala

Shashikala

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:52 AM

Answers

• Try the below link

SQL Server

Question: How do I retrieve SQL Server Installation date?

Answer: Run the following query and it will give you the date of SQL Server Installation.

SELECT create_date
    FROM sys.server_principals
    WHERE sid 0x010100000000000512000000

• Marked as answer by bhat BK Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:23 AM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:02 AM
  • Hi Shashikala,

You can use the below query :

USE[master]
    GO
    SELECT[createdate]AS'SQL Install Date'

FROM[sys].[syslogins]WHERE[sid]= 0x010100000000000512000000 --NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 
    GO

Note : This works only if the installation of the instance is actually performed and not if the instance is pre-configured on an image of the server.

Other options include checking the setup\installation logs. For example, for SQL Server 2012 default instance the path may be similar to something like : Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log

I would then look for the folder with the earliest date.

Again, a word of caution, if it's a testing environment where SQL has been installed and uninstalled several times, there may be folders which have older dates.

neoHypocrite

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:13 AM

All replies

• Try the below link

SQL Server

Question: How do I retrieve SQL Server Installation date?

Answer: Run the following query and it will give you the date of SQL Server Installation.

SELECT create_date
    FROM sys.server_principals
    WHERE sid 0x010100000000000512000000

• Marked as answer by bhat BK Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:23 AM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:02 AM
  • Hi Shashikala,

You can use the below query :

USE[master]
    GO
    SELECT[createdate]AS'SQL Install Date'

FROM[sys].[syslogins]WHERE[sid]= 0x010100000000000512000000 --NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 
    GO

Note : This works only if the installation of the instance is actually performed and not if the instance is pre-configured on an image of the server.

Other options include checking the setup\installation logs. For example, for SQL Server 2012 default instance the path may be similar to something like : Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log

I would then look for the folder with the earliest date.

Again, a word of caution, if it's a testing environment where SQL has been installed and uninstalled several times, there may be folders which have older dates.

neoHypocrite

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:13 AM
  • Thanks a lot.

Shashikala

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:23 AM
  • SELECT [create_date] FROM [master].[sys].[symmetric_keys] GO

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:39 PM
  • It's funny that the answer with "syslogins" table  is spread in dozens of forums and blogs.

I found another query, which has by the way an enormous advantage: It needs less access rights !

SELECT modify_date from master.sys.servers where server_id = 0

Should be pretty accurate, unless someone fumbled with "sp_dropserver" on id=0, which you normally only do if you renamed the OS or did other "weird" stuff.  

Friday, April 8, 2016 1:11 PM