Mobile Apps for website RRS feed

• Question

• User-1753299103 posted

I finally got around to successfully create mobile pages for my website under mywebsite/mobile. However, I am slightly confused about launching it. <!--?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /--><o:p></o:p>

1) Since this is a website and not an installation, do I still need to go through the process of creating SDK package and/or apk file etc.<o:p></o:p>

2) Is it really necessary to submit it in the various App stores?<o:p></o:p>

If the answer to the above questions is "YES" then I guess that is what I have to do. Of course, I would be grateful for any suggestions.<o:p></o:p>

However, if its "NO" then how would I inform the site's visitors about the mobile availability? Do I offer them an icon to download?<o:p></o:p>

Regards<o:p></o:p>

Monday, August 12, 2013 5:54 PM

Answers

• User379720387 posted

I don't think you have created a native app, so the app store is of no use.

With your app you can basically browse to your site and ASP will render the pages it deems necessary depending on what device is on the other end.

You can test this yourself by browsing to your site from a mobile device. Does it render the mobile pages?

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, August 12, 2013 6:15 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

how would I inform the site's visitors about the mobile availability?

If you are using the .mobile extension for your mobile-friendly layout, the server will deliver the mobile version by default. You do not need to do anything.

And as Robert said, since its a wb site, you publish it on your hosting server just like any other web site.. Visitors will use Safari, Chrome or IE to visit it just like they would any other web site on their device. If they want to create a shortcut/bookmark to your site on their device, most devices offer a way to do that.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:41 AM
  • User895691971 posted

Well you are wrong or maybe you are not clear in asking question here!

1. If you are creating an App, you really do need to create a package, .apk for android and so on. For that you need to learn the language being used there! For android, I have tried learning but needed to stick to my web app. So I skipped! As far as I learned, it's pure Java. 

2. Yes, being an App you will need to submit the app to its corresponding App Store, the Android app will be on the Play Store (https://play.google.com) the Windows app or iPhone app will never be placed there and vice versa!

3. If its just a mobile view page, then you don't need to do any thing. Upload the website to the server, the client no matter what OS he is onto, he will always view the Mobile site as mentioned by Mike: if you have .mobile extension, server will do the job!

4. You can use this: 

Request.Browser.IsMobileDevice

Secondly you can use the meta tag for the view port! 

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width" />

Hope this works! :)

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:22 AM
  • User895691971 posted

1. You can get the data from there, for example the CSS the Scripts in this way: 

<link src="~/mobile/site.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"></link>

Use it anywhere, and the CSS will be extracted from there!

2. You can get the page elements too. In a same way as the Ajax does.

The Ajax gets the results from that page and write in a certain div or span of the body of the current page! 

So use what ever you want.

If they want to get themselves have the Desktop version: Use

Context.SetOverriddenBrowser(BrowserOverride.Desktop);

You can learn about it here, and another method is also specified by me! Read it also if you like: http://forums.asp.net/p/1928172/5478149.aspx/1?Re+Switch+between+mobile+and+desktop

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:36 AM

All replies

• User379720387 posted

I don't think you have created a native app, so the app store is of no use.

With your app you can basically browse to your site and ASP will render the pages it deems necessary depending on what device is on the other end.

You can test this yourself by browsing to your site from a mobile device. Does it render the mobile pages?

Monday, August 12, 2013 6:15 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

how would I inform the site's visitors about the mobile availability?

If you are using the .mobile extension for your mobile-friendly layout, the server will deliver the mobile version by default. You do not need to do anything.

And as Robert said, since its a wb site, you publish it on your hosting server just like any other web site.. Visitors will use Safari, Chrome or IE to visit it just like they would any other web site on their device. If they want to create a shortcut/bookmark to your site on their device, most devices offer a way to do that.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:41 AM
  • User895691971 posted

Well you are wrong or maybe you are not clear in asking question here!

1. If you are creating an App, you really do need to create a package, .apk for android and so on. For that you need to learn the language being used there! For android, I have tried learning but needed to stick to my web app. So I skipped! As far as I learned, it's pure Java. 

2. Yes, being an App you will need to submit the app to its corresponding App Store, the Android app will be on the Play Store (https://play.google.com) the Windows app or iPhone app will never be placed there and vice versa!

3. If its just a mobile view page, then you don't need to do any thing. Upload the website to the server, the client no matter what OS he is onto, he will always view the Mobile site as mentioned by Mike: if you have .mobile extension, server will do the job!

4. You can use this: 

Request.Browser.IsMobileDevice

Secondly you can use the meta tag for the view port! 

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width" />

Hope this works! :)

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:22 AM
  • User-1753299103 posted

Thank you,

Final question: If I chose to create a folder called MOBILE and place all mobile files in there, do I then need to direct the users to the mobile folder or does it get picked up automatically?

In case if some other devices such as ipad, etc need to go visit the desktop version.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:28 AM
  • User895691971 posted

1. You can get the data from there, for example the CSS the Scripts in this way: 

<link src="~/mobile/site.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"></link>

Use it anywhere, and the CSS will be extracted from there!

2. You can get the page elements too. In a same way as the Ajax does.

The Ajax gets the results from that page and write in a certain div or span of the body of the current page! 

So use what ever you want.

If they want to get themselves have the Desktop version: Use

Context.SetOverriddenBrowser(BrowserOverride.Desktop);

You can learn about it here, and another method is also specified by me! Read it also if you like: http://forums.asp.net/p/1928172/5478149.aspx/1?Re+Switch+between+mobile+and+desktop

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:36 AM