Excel file won't open in SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded my Intranet from MOSS to SP 2010.  We have hundreds of Word and Excel files on the site in multiple libraries.  I tried to open an Excel file from my site and got an error that Workbook cannot be opened.  I've researched this and found plenty of discussion about Excel Services.  But, I don't want to use Excel Services; I just want to launch Excel and have this file open in Excel. 

On one library, I changed the advanced settings so that files launch in their source application (and not in the browser).  But I can't go through hundreds of libraries and change the settings on each.  Is there a global setting, maybe in Central Admin, that will force my Excel files to open in Excel and not the browser?

Milissa Hartwell

Monday, January 21, 2013 11:41 PM

Answers

• See the scripts located here: http://technet.microsoft.com/library/ee837425(office.14).aspx

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by milissa Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:28 PM
    Monday, January 21, 2013 11:44 PM

All replies

• See the scripts located here: http://technet.microsoft.com/library/ee837425(office.14).aspx

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by milissa Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:28 PM
    Monday, January 21, 2013 11:44 PM
  • HI,

You can execute a piece of code through powershell scripts or a console to get this done.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:28 AM
  • Thanks, Trevor.  It was as easy as activating a Feature in the site collection.  Found it in the article you linked. 

Milissa Hartwell

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:29 PM