none
Connection to Oracle Database RRS feed

• Question

• Iam trying to connect to Oracle Server Ver 10.2.0.4.0 64 bit running on HP-Unix.

My Oracle Client Version is 11.1.0.7.0 64 bit version.

TNS Ping is Working fine.

But when I try to connect using SQLPlus it gives the error Ora 12541 TNS No Listener.

The Oracle DB Person says the listener is running.I have to Connect using BizTalk to this Oracle DB to execute a Stored procedure.

But Before that even SQLPlus is not able to connect.

Can Some body what are the other possible causes for this behavior.

Thanks

Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:31 AM

Answers

• check if there are multiple tnsnames.ora files, its better to add tns_admin server variable and point to correct folder.

also sometimes it may need full domain name in SQL plus or try if IP works

KiranMP

• Marked as answer by Harik98 Friday, June 29, 2012 6:21 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:26 PM

All replies

• Though I am not Oracle expert but based on my experience with Oracle databases I would recommend you to check the Tnsnames.ora file (generally available at location ORACLE HOME\NETWORK\ADMIN) on the BizTalk machine and verify that the correct information is specified.

Please mark the post answered your question as answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, it'll help other users who are visiting your thread for the similar problem, Regards -Rohit Sharma (http://rohitt-sharma.blogspot.com/)

Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:14 AM
  • also sometimes we have this issue when tnsnames.ora paqth is not correctly resolved, could be multiple clients installed or environment variables not setup properly while installing.

you can add a server variable to specify the tnsnames.ors path.

KiranMP

Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:23 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Iam able to connect to some other  Oracle DB from the same server. This rules out path resolving issue.

Also If TNS ping works doesn't it mean the entry in ORA file is fine.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 11:50 AM
  • check if there are multiple tnsnames.ora files, its better to add tns_admin server variable and point to correct folder.

also sometimes it may need full domain name in SQL plus or try if IP works

KiranMP

• Marked as answer by Harik98 Friday, June 29, 2012 6:21 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:26 PM
  • It Seems the issue with multiple tns.ora files.

Where should I set the tns_admin variable

Thanks

Friday, June 29, 2012 6:20 AM
  • you can add in environment variables/system variables

KiranMP

Friday, June 29, 2012 9:15 AM