none
Access Services Web Application – Creating a Client Backup? RRS feed

• Question

• BOTTOM LINE: Does anyone know how to create a client side Access backup of a published Access Services Web Application?

OR Does anyone know how to create client versions of published web queries?

I’ve got an Access Services 2010  web application that is planned for decommission.  Prior to turning it off, I need a stand-alone, client side copy of the application saved in Microsoft Access 2010 or 2013.   I am able to laboriously convert tables, forms, and reports one at a time. However I am NOT able to save the web queries as client queries.

Below is a list of things I have tried with the web queries.

(1)    The “File/Save Object As” option is unavailable (i.e., grayed out) in the Access Services database. 

(2)    There  is no way to view the SQL of web queries so I can copy their code.

(3)    When I try to export the queries, I receive an error message (see below).

(4)    When I try to import the queries into a client database, the web queries are not visible in the import list.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike

Thursday, August 27, 2015 8:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

>>Access Services Web Application – Creating a Client Backup<<

We can create backup for the web database via using 'Save As Local Database'. Also we can directly export the object to an another web database by export the query however it would work unless you also export the table or you recreate the table in that database.

However we can't export the Query object to the client database from a web database. If we want to build the query object we need to open the query in design view and create a new query based on the query by ourself.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by twMikeR Friday, August 28, 2015 8:50 PM
    Friday, August 28, 2015 5:35 AM
  • You can convert a 2010 web based “back to” a local un-published database.
    The resulting database will be un-attached from the web site AND ALSO have all the data.

In effect the database can now run local, and not have to be run as published.

File-Save and publish -->(save as local database)

This option:

Regards
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Friday, August 28, 2015 8:44 PM

All replies

• Can't you just make a backup of the server-side SQL Server database?

Or, using SSMS, script all database objects?

Not sure what you are really trying to achieve here...

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Friday, August 28, 2015 3:16 AM
  • Hi Mike,

>>Access Services Web Application – Creating a Client Backup<<

We can create backup for the web database via using 'Save As Local Database'. Also we can directly export the object to an another web database by export the query however it would work unless you also export the table or you recreate the table in that database.

However we can't export the Query object to the client database from a web database. If we want to build the query object we need to open the query in design view and create a new query based on the query by ourself.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 28, 2015 5:35 AM
  • You can convert a 2010 web based “back to” a local un-published database.
    The resulting database will be un-attached from the web site AND ALSO have all the data.

In effect the database can now run local, and not have to be run as published.

File-Save and publish -->(save as local database)

This option:

Regards
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Friday, August 28, 2015 8:44 PM
  • Tom, Fei, and Albert, thank you all for taking the time to respond.  I was making this far too complex.  Specifically, I had envisioned that all of objects in the local database needed to be converted to client (non-web enabled) objects where in fact, only the tables (lists) had to be saved as local tables.  Thanks again.  Mike
    Friday, August 28, 2015 8:57 PM