My PC takes forever to boot. Why?

Question

• I installed windows developer preview on my PC but it is not behaving at all as what shown in some videos.. It takes about 2 to 4 minutes to boot as compared to 8 seconds claimed boot time.. I have 1.3 GB ram, 2.7 GHz P4 processor, 512 MB graphics card.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:53 AM

All replies

• Your specifications look very outdated - with fullfilling the bare minimum of installation requirements you will also only experience the bare minimum of performance.

I ensure you also, that a full reboot will take longer also on modern hardware (like in Windows 7), only the reboot from sleep/hibernate will be significantly faster.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:29 AM
  • do you have any external USB drives plugged in? try connecting them after windows has started.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:05 AM
  • Install the ADK and make a boot tarce with the Windows Assesment Console and it should show you the issues.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Friday, September 30, 2011 9:13 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:21 PM
  • As Olaf stated, your system requirements may be a little low which is why you are seeing a hit on performance.

System Requirements of Windows Developer Preview:

Windows Developer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7:

·         1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

·         16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

·         DirectX 9 graphics 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

·         device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

·         Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch

·         To run Metro style Apps, you need a screen resolution of 1024 X 768 or greater

Marilyn
    • Proposed as answer by Chase_Croley Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:39 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:41 PM
  • I agree with the other posters, I installed it on my test box: AMD Sempron 1.9GHz, 1.5GB ram, with ATI Radeon Express 200 first as always to test. It installed but was brutal to run.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:46 PM