Is this a leak when streaming an audio track

Question

• Hi,

I was going to uninstall an app when I noticed that my application Clouder! was being shown at 200Mb while it doesn't store anything, it just streams tracks (using the <audio> tag).

In the APPDATA folder for my app, there is indeed, a folder taking all this space, called "AC" in "C:\Users\Fabien Nicollet\AppData\Local\Packages\29937NicolletFabien.Clouder_27eb1sea2sgwj".

Weird thing, when i right click > properties on this folder, it gives me about 200Mb but when i get in the folder, I have 3 other folders called : "BackgroundTransferApi", "Microsoft" and "Temp". There is almost nothing in those folders, if i select them right click > Properties, it add up to about 40Ko. So I don't even know how MS counts this space as 200Mo. There is no hidden item in this folder either.

Do anyone know why Windows is creating all this storage space? Would that be a massive leak?

Thanks for your help,

Fabien

Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Fabien,

It is not a leak you are seeing.  The memory will be recovered and not exceed a certain limit.  When you stream audio it caches this information as it streams.  You can see this for yourself using a tool like Process Monitor.  This follows the same pattern as Internet Explorer.

Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Monday, November 25, 2013 1:39 PM
  • The size of the app to be uninstalled shouldn't count the cache tho, it doesn't make it really fair in my opinion

Fabien

Monday, November 25, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback Fabien. Can you tell me what your concern is about the size reported including the cached files for your application?  The system is telling you how much disk space will be recovered when you uninstall an application.  This includes any data or cache that is part of your application.  Or are you just curious why that size was bigger than you expected it to be?

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Monday, November 25, 2013 2:29 PM
  • Well, when i close the application, it should go back to (almost) 0, because that's what the app actually stores.

And the temp folder is not flushed when you use the disk utility (only Windows/Temp/ is cleared i guess) so you don't really have the control of when the temporary space is being freed. Like i rebooted my PC, it was still the same. And today i checked, it went back to 70Mo.

I didn't have any complaint yet but I hope that those numbers won't scare people :)

Fabien

Monday, November 25, 2013 2:45 PM