none
Is there a way to track open rates of an email if I am sending an Outlook email via MS Access? RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have code in my VBA that sends an Outlook email through the cloud. With my code I can send an email out to multiple people at once. I was wondering if there is any way to track the open rate of the email. So if I sent a total of 150 emails, is there a way I can track how many people opened it and who did?

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 3:14 PM

All replies

• I don't believe you can obtain reliable information. 

Most modern email clients do not automatically respond with a read receipt when mail is opened and they also do not automatically download web content that can serve as a beacon in html formatted email .  It generally requires the user to give permission to send a read receipt or download web content.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 5:03 PM
  • Hello,

There is no trivial way for gathering such information out of the box.

As a workaround you may consider inserting an external content like images as an indicator that a message is read by the recipient. Be aware, they can be blocked by loading automatically.

Also you may consider creating a dummy web page with a link for an external server for reading the content of email. In that case you will be able to know who accessed the email and how frequently it is read. Hope it helps.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Monday, April 23, 2018 1:03 PM