Article on Using Silverlight Streaming Plugin for Expression Encoder2 RRS feed

All replies

• Nice article but what about quality. I run a cable tv network with several video streaming web sites. I've used encoder 9 for the last 7 or 8 years. We use it for encoding programs for our cable broadcast servers. We're a nonprofit that does govt and educational programming on the Oregon coast so we're not big shots but we think we're pretty good at what we do. MS used to send us clients for consultations about broadcast apps.{just background}

I was testing the Exp Encoder 2 for possible use on a new website and liked the live functions as the looked easy for our high school to use for streaming live football games. The quality sucked!!! I started encoding 3 min AVI clips from files but the picture was grainy and went to hell everytime a crossfade occured. I tried some live stuff with a Sony VX 2000 using the firewire input on my PC and it sucked. It droped frames, froze jerked and would make anyone airing it look like a complete fool. This was 256kbs so it should have been fine. I tried 256 and 512kbs dual pass on the files but nothing changed the quality. Between transitions the picture and color looked great sometimes and then degenerated back to the same old stuff.

I'm visually impaired so I triple check everything myself and then have staffers check the results. Any feedback on this or is it just MS wanting us to identify and work out the bugs. I want to work with this but not if it's just a waste of time. I come from a broadcast background and know computer guys have a hard time integrating with video on that level. But this hits me as another Vista. Thanks. Jeffrey.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 12:44 AM
  • Nice article, thanks for sharing!

-Ken

Sunday, September 14, 2008 10:45 AM