none
[MS-OXPROPS] Inquiry about named properties IDs RRS feed

• Question

• As I understand, Ids from 0x8000 to 0xFFFF are reserved for mapping to named properties, and that's what is written in the document section 1.3.3. So I got confused when I came across properties that are tagged (not a named property) and have property ids that are greater than 0x8000 like property section 2.544 PidTagAddressBookNetworkAddress (0x8170) . Is there is something that I misunderstand?
    Sunday, December 7, 2014 11:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Majdoleen,

If you check the Address Book related properties defined in [MS-OXOABK] — v20141018 “Address Book Object Protocol”, you can see that for almost all of them the leftmost bit is set, which correspond to the requirement in [MS-OXPROPS] section “1.3.3 Property ID Ranges” that the 0x8000 - 0xFFFF range is reserved for mapping named properties. [MS-OXOABK] section 2.2.11 “Named Properties” states: “This document does not specify any named properties. OABs and NSPI servers can expose any named properties in their implementations.”; these properties can be manipulated through some Name Service Provider by name, assuming the server supports this kind of service.

I agree with you, the documentation is too concise in this area, I submitted a suggestion that the property id ranges should be better explained.

I hope this answered your question.

Thanks, Vilmos
    Monday, December 15, 2014 7:11 PM

All replies

• Majdoleen,

Thank you for your question.  An engineer from the Protocols team will contact you soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Monday, December 8, 2014 5:09 AM
  • Hi Majdoleen,

Thank you for your question. I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the question and will provide you with an update soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 12:28 AM
  • Hi Majdoleen,

If you check the Address Book related properties defined in [MS-OXOABK] — v20141018 “Address Book Object Protocol”, you can see that for almost all of them the leftmost bit is set, which correspond to the requirement in [MS-OXPROPS] section “1.3.3 Property ID Ranges” that the 0x8000 - 0xFFFF range is reserved for mapping named properties. [MS-OXOABK] section 2.2.11 “Named Properties” states: “This document does not specify any named properties. OABs and NSPI servers can expose any named properties in their implementations.”; these properties can be manipulated through some Name Service Provider by name, assuming the server supports this kind of service.

I agree with you, the documentation is too concise in this area, I submitted a suggestion that the property id ranges should be better explained.

I hope this answered your question.

Thanks, Vilmos
    Monday, December 15, 2014 7:11 PM
  • Thank you so much Mr. Vilmos.
    Friday, December 19, 2014 11:25 AM