none
Accounting of and Reasons for Reversals/Refunds

Question

• Is it possible to get information on why refunds/reversals occur? If I wanted my apps to have trials (and some do) I would code trials in to them. I include a lot of detail in my apps description, it's rated over 4 stars with about 400 reviews, but I'm seeing a lot of reversals, about 7%. I'd like to have a better idea of what was said by these users, I can appreciate refunds are needed sometimes, but I feel like these people are just taking free trials, when that's not what I offer, and the only insight I have into their thinking is a row in an export report with the word reversal. I'd like to see a reason field, or the text of the reversal request.

Jason

Saturday, February 1, 2014 3:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• The reality I think is that some local laws require things to be returnable, that is why microsoft store holds your funds for thirty days.

That being said, 7 percent is high.   I have something like less than 5 total for 200 sales.. but then I offer a trial.

And it could be a paypal dispute deciding it

-Rob

• Edited by Rob Wilkens Saturday, February 1, 2014 10:48 PM paypal. comment
    Saturday, February 1, 2014 10:25 PM
  • Yes I have the same question too. There should be a way for the developer to know the reason specified by the customer while requesting a refund.
    Saturday, February 1, 2014 11:47 PM
  • I agree ability for refunds are necessary, just want to know why... Do they say it was a mistake, a child, did they have problems with the app (in which case support email should be first path or at least notify me), or did they just feel it was not worth $1.49 naïve of the cost of development & ongoing services necessary to run the app.

Seeing a reversal in a report with no details is not very helpful to determine if there is a problem.

Sunday, February 2, 2014 1:44 AM
  • Hi Jason,

If you have not already done so, you can submit a support request for this. One of our support agents would be happy to review this a little more closely.

Thanks for the post!

-Jonathan

Windows Store Developer Support

Office Store Developer Support

Thursday, February 13, 2014 9:29 PM
  • I experienced this same issue back in March and spent two weeks working with Microsoft trying to figure out what was going on.  My app is simply a front end to a hosted service, so as soon as my app was purchased and used by store customers I could see activity from my hosted service.  I could see that my service was being used successfully by the purchasers and then several days later money was deducted from my account for a refund.  I tried two paths to try to resolve with MS with the first being "what were the reasons for the refunds?".  When MS said that information was private (and also the refunds are handled by a different department than the one I was dealing with), I tried a second path which was "what violation of the developer agreement did my app violate that lead to funds being deducted from my account?".  Unfortunately MS could provide no answer.  Despite having built-in support on my app that users can navigate to submit a ticket to me directly I never received any support requests or negative ratings.  Because I purchase my core service through a third party for each app sold, I already paid my third party service provider and when a refund would occur through MS, I essentially lost money.  I finally decided to pull my app from the store for a month while I integrated my own payment provider. Now I no longer have this issue.  To anyone reading this I would simply say if your app simply fronts a hosted service (ex. Netflix, Hulu etc...) your app is more than the bytes delivered from the Windows Store so DO NOT use Windows Store as your payment provider.  I used payment gateway provider Authorize.net with a separate backend payment processor, however I would recommend anyone developing for Windows Store to signup for a PayPal business account and then download the PayPal Windows 8 SDK, this makes integrating PayPal into your app easy and allows your users to securely use they're PayPal account or credit card.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:43 PM