MDS Domain Based Attribute outside of its Model? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We're trying to use MDS in our enterprise, i tried creating models, entities....

I just noticed that i can't add domain based attribute \ relationship between entities that belongs to different model.

We need to create different Models to seperate information but somehow they must communicate or reference(lookup) each other. Also we noticed that versioning is on Model level, thats why we need to create different models to seperate the entities that we will only allow data versioning.

1. Is this possible with MDS? will this be supported on the future release?

2. Is versioning allowed on entity level? (specific entity only). Will this be supported on the future release?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards,

JayJay

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:12 AM

Answers

• There is no native functionality in MDS that does this. You can use subscription views to populate a related entity in the other model. (No actual relation exists in MDS). You have hit the main reason on why entities cannot be shared across models--because versioning is at the model level and there is no way to version a specific entity. Currently there are no plans to do versioning for specific entities.

Hope this helps. 

Suzanne Selhorn [MSFT]
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Hello Pascal

once you've exposed your data with subscription views (it creates standard SQL Views in MDS Database), you can use these views with , by example, SSIS, to extract and load the chosen data into your second model.

In your SSIS Package, you can add Constraints (you can compare first model data with second model data, and update data if needed, or not)

Note: Please vote/mark the post as answered if it answers your question/helps to solve your problem. _________________________________________________________ Regards, Xavier Averbouch, Consultant, Avanade France
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:11 AM

All replies

• There is no native functionality in MDS that does this. You can use subscription views to populate a related entity in the other model. (No actual relation exists in MDS). You have hit the main reason on why entities cannot be shared across models--because versioning is at the model level and there is no way to version a specific entity. Currently there are no plans to do versioning for specific entities.

Hope this helps. 

Suzanne Selhorn [MSFT]
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Suzanne,

I have similar requierement as JayJay regards having relations between entitie sthat belongs to different model. I understnad thsi is not supported (I've submiited an enhanacement request to the SQL group), but could you elaborate what you mean by "You can use subscription views to populate a related entity in the other model". How does that relates to have relations between entity in different model ?  At thsi stage I'm looking at having the relation constraint handled at the Business logic layer (Above the generated WS), but that make me unconfortable.

Also related to versioning, any plan to have a native support for SCD (type #2 or #4 would be nice :-)

Thanks

pascal. 

Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:46 AM
  • Hello Pascal

once you've exposed your data with subscription views (it creates standard SQL Views in MDS Database), you can use these views with , by example, SSIS, to extract and load the chosen data into your second model.

In your SSIS Package, you can add Constraints (you can compare first model data with second model data, and update data if needed, or not)

Note: Please vote/mark the post as answered if it answers your question/helps to solve your problem. _________________________________________________________ Regards, Xavier Averbouch, Consultant, Avanade France
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:11 AM
  • OK, thanks got it

Pascal.

Thursday, December 2, 2010 9:12 AM